• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

See my new build specs, give suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcitytech

Registered
Ok so I have been looking around for about a week and checking reviews and specs and videos and what not trying to figure out the components I am getting for my new build.
Here is what I have selected so far...I haven't made the purchase yet but will in a couple days. If anyone has any bad thoughts of anything I have or suggestions please let me know.

Case HAF X

CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler but getting 2 more fans for push/pull and they will be the Cougar CF-V12's

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

Video Card - 2 of the EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Sound Card - I have the X-Fi Fatal1ty in my current system but I think I am correct in that the optical s/pdif on the motherboard i selected will work just as good for my logitech Z-5500 speakers I have.

SSD for my OS and HDD for data
I looked online and it seems Samsung SSD's are really good but most of the OCZ's have a pretty good failure or RMA rate...anyone can confirm or deny this?

Sadly dual 6970s slightly beats dual 580s depending on the game...AMD scales better. Unless you want to do 3D, I'd go with the 6970s. Multimonitor > 3D, and you BETTER be going multimonitor with something like this.

OCZs issues were just with the current gen, not their fault (problems with the Sandforce controller, affected Corsair and Kingston as well as many others), but a firmware revision fixed it. I'd go OCZ.

In this I basically tried to trim off all the excess fat, make it as cheap as possible without reducing one drop of performance:

Capture.JPG

I'd go at least 750W for dual 6970s. 850W if you want to heavily OC them.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=217
Not going to beat that for $120 - $30MIR.

Perhaps, that'd only a Bronze rated unit though.... Personally I'd still be looking at the Lazer Gold PSU's due to their higher efficiency. A higher effiiciency rating translates into less AC power used and cooler/quieter operation than any Bronze rated PSU.

May not be important to some though to me thats well worthwhile paying an extra $70 for.

Thanks for all your help. BTW other than because I can, is there any real performance increase in doing SLI for gaming. I mean will it really help out that much or not noticeable. If it isn't going to be noticeable I will stick with one video card and save myself $500

Cooler/quieter, not always true. Less AC power, of course. I really doubt with this build, he'd be having trouble paying his electricity build. :chair:

SLI/CFX if you want to do 3D or multimonitor. Otherwise it's a waste.

There's little point in going SLI if you're only going to run one monitor. If you're going to use more than one screen then yes, SLI is worthwhile looking at.

I can confirm that my Superflower Golden Green is completely silent. It's actually rare for the fan to actually spin up. Even after gaming sessions it feels cold to touch. The Kingwin Laser Gold's are just a rebadge of these PSU's. They're excellent. A shame you can't buy Super Flower PSU's over there in the US, except rebadged by other brands (NZXT Hale90, Kingwin Lazer Gold etc)

I mean if I am gaming on one monitor but have other monitor just doing some homework or something that would be ok right to use one card?

Yes. Multimonitor gaming is usually triple screen, since playing FPS and RPGs with a bezel right through the middle of your view is annoying. Doing hw on the second screen won't affect anything, it's still single monitor gaming

NVIDIA cards can only do two on a single card, AMD cards can do three.

If you want to do a practical build that'll still max out almost every modern game, you don't need to spend more then $1200-$1300.

Back