• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ / A8n32 Sli Delux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craziboi88

Registered
Hi All

Could someone please help me, below is what i posted in the welcome section and was asked to post a new Thread.

Hi All

I'm fairly new to over clocking, currently running my amd athlon 64 X2 4200+ @2.58Ghz on a A8N32 Sli Delux. CPU vcore runns at 1.488V to 1.580 volts ??? is that right (as per CPUz)

I sometimes get Freezes, like while on the Desktop after the Pc Being on for awhile as soon as i open Firefox the pc will freeze(anything 4 that matter).

What i want to know is does anyone know how to clock it more stable with board and cpu.

Any info will be appreciated ( current config is the one i got off her from "Quite" i think).

Oh i have a 400watt PSu with 3 gig ram, 2x 1gig and 2x 515

Regards
CB

Please ask for any further info needed.

Welcome to the forum. :)

How did you get to those clocks?
You should only need 1.45v to get 240x11 (2.64GHz)

Also, you should watch your RAM speed, when you turn up the bus speed the RAM frequency will go up along with it.

If its to high it will caws your system to be unstable.

Welcome to the forum. :)

How did you get to those clocks?
You should only need 1.45v to get 240x11 (2.64GHz)

Also, you should watch your RAM speed, when you turn up the bus speed the RAM frequency will go up along with it.

If its to high it will caws your system to be unstable.

Thanks for the reply dude, i have
Over Voltage CPU VCore ( Enabled )
And processor voltage running at 1.325v (All in bios) But cpuz begs to differ lol..

Ram speed currently running at 180mhz according to cpuz

Have you got your Vcore set to auto/default in bios? It sounds like you do, it would certainly explain the wide variance between your high and your low.

If so, manually set it to say 1.45V, and if that isn't stable then try 1.475.

I used to have an A8N32-SLI myself, and it tended to have some Vdrop and Vdroop.

ok so i should, role a joint, smoke it while up'in the vcore and what about ram ?

Soz guys im noob to this

Hmm, well if you've got it manually set to 1.325 and it's over-volting by that much you've got a problem somewhere.

Most likely either there's some problem with the motherboard's voltage regulation (VRM's (voltage regulation modules)/mosfets or bad capacitors (I had one board where the voltage regulation only go messed up after I blew a cap or two) or your power supply is either weak or going bad. What brand of power supply are you using out of curiosity?

Could you post a screenshot from CPUID's HWMonitor? It would be helpful to see what all of your voltages are showing.

As for freezing when you open up a program after idling for a while that sounds like a problem with not having enough voltage to remain stable under load and or sudden droop of your voltage to a level below the minimum. Which again sounds like either power supply or motherboard.

Last edited:
ok i upped the Volts as you said from what i had to 1.45volt.

Now i have the following

Cranked power up as you said and tried to run COD MW3 and it froze.
Saw voltage spike to 1.6V

I have uploaded the screen shots as you asked for.

Attachments

• Mem.png
    Mem.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 345
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    18 KB · Views: 364
ok i upped the Volts as you said from what i had to 1.45volt.

Now i have the following

Cranked power up as you said and tried to run COD MW3 and it froze.
Saw voltage spike to 1.6V

I have uploaded the screen shots as you asked for.

No, not CPU-Z, I was talking about HWMonitor, that's a different program. Though it is helpful to see what you're seeing.

Also, disable Over Voltage CPU VCore (Enabled) and see what happens, it may help to get your voltage closer to what you are setting it as in bios.

A HWMonitor screenshot will also be helpful to find out what kind of temperatures you are seeing at idle and under load.

Last edited:
:) i'll send a screen shot of that now, i have Disabled it lol (Before i read this) current is 1.3

jumps now and then to 1.4 :)

Can i try and push fsb higher now.

I was running the faster version of this chip for years before my upgrade this week. I have the Athlon 64 X2 5000 BE. I was able to get it up to 3.25 ghz on my main rig, and its currently running at 3ghz on my 2nd computer. I hope you have 1066mhz ddr2 ram if you are pushing up the FSB. The processor will restrict the ram to a max of 800mhz, but with pushing up the fsb you can make the ram run faster along with the processor. I was able to get my memory to 966mhz, but I didnt have a problem because the ram is rated for 1066... My exact settings where as follows:

251 mhz fsb (up from default of 200)
13X multiplier
1.4375 vcore

It was slightly unstable and ran really hot, but as long as I didn't play crisis or fallout 3 it would run like a champ. never crashed except for those 2 things. You have a slower version, so you shouldn't expect to hit that speed, but I think 3 GHz may not be out of the question for you...

I was running the faster version of this chip for years before my upgrade this week. I have the Athlon 64 X2 5000 BE. I was able to get it up to 3.25 ghz on my main rig, and its currently running at 3ghz on my 2nd computer. I hope you have 1066mhz ddr2 ram if you are pushing up the FSB. The processor will restrict the ram to a max of 800mhz, but with pushing up the fsb you can make the ram run faster along with the processor. I was able to get my memory to 966mhz, but I didnt have a problem because the ram is rated for 1066... My exact settings where as follows:

13X multiplier
1.4375 vcore

It was slightly unstable and ran really hot, but as long as I didn't play crisis or fallout 3 it would run like a champ. never crashed except for those 2 things. You have a slower version, so you shouldn't expect to hit that speed, but I think 3 GHz may not be out of the question for you...

You've got a socket AM2 then, he's on socket 939 so he can only run DDR.

If he's lucky the best he'll likely be able to get out of his memory will be around DDR500-520 in a best case scenario (with a lot of voltage most likely).

ok so i should, role a joint, smoke it while up'in the vcore and what about ram ?

Soz guys im noob to this

No smoking pot;) No smoking at all around the puter; it gets messy. Have you ever cleaned a cooler with caked up tar on it?

You've got a socket AM2 then, he's on socket 939 so he can only run DDR.

If he's lucky the best he'll likely be able to get out of his memory will be around DDR500-520 in a best case scenario (with a lot of voltage most likely).

Ahh touche. I did not notice that detail when glancing over the thread. Then the best bet is to downclock the ram to its next lowest setting, and up the FSB, which will bring the ram back up along with it....

13X multiplier
1.4375 vcore

Hey, keep in mind this is the 939 old school im talking about, DDR400 :)

No Worries guys i know its old, but its kinda a project :)

So what should i set my memory to.

I think i might have messed up machine cause it boots and all, and when it comes to the window load screen it takes forever to load.

It never crossed my mind. When did touche become personal? :shrug:

Well, some say that jokingly and some say it meaning they have taken something personally (I really have run across a few people that were offended and used that saying to express it).

As long were cool though, good.

No Worries guys i know its old, but its kinda a project :)

So what should i set my memory to.

I think i might have messed up machine cause it boots and all, and when it comes to the window load screen it takes forever to load.

Not too old really, some of us still run on socket 939. I, myself, have four 939 boards (only two of which actually work). I run a 939 for a backup system in case my main computer goes down.

What kind of memory do you have (brand and model)? A screenshot of the CPU-Z SPD tab for all slots would be helpful here as well. Also, what do you have your memory voltage currently set to? The timings and speed you currently have them set to should be okay, but with having all four DRAM banks/slots filled you may have to loosen your timings to say 3-3-3-8-2T or 2.5-3-3-8-2T because your memory controller might not like running 2.5-3-3-7-2T with four sticks of memory (my current board doesn't like this, which is why I bring it up).

As for taking a long time to load up Windows, that's usually an indication that you aren't supplying enough voltage to keep something stable. Usually the CPU, but it could be the memory or the chipset as well.

On a somewhat-related note, another reason for instability could be something overheating like say your northbridge or CPU; which brings me back to the question of what kind of temps you are seeing.

Back