• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are plenty of good choices in that price range.

TRUE Rev. C (needs fans plus Ven-X mount)
Venomous X
True Spirit 140
True Spirit (new rev)
True Spirit (original model, but you will need to buy a Venomous X mounting bracket for it too)
MUX 120
Megahalems (doesn't come with fans)
HR-02 Macho
Havik 140

Thanks for the suggestions. I read your review on the Macho (among others). I think one of these would suit my needs, but newegg doesn't carry them, and amazon sells through 3rd party retailers that are charging 14 bucks for shipping. Where do you guys buy your coolers? Maybe I can take a look at Fry's for one of these.

HR-02 Macho
The new revision of this, when you put a fast fan on it is the best bang/buck IMO to cool your CPU.
After that I'd recommend a Thermalright Archon but the HR 02 is what I think you ought to get. ALMOST NHD14 for 60% the cost.

Thanks for the suggestions. I read your review on the Macho (among others). I think one of these would suit my needs, but newegg doesn't carry them, and amazon sells through 3rd party retailers that are charging 14 bucks for shipping. Where do you guys buy your coolers? Maybe I can take a look at Fry's for one of these.
You could poke around at Jab-Tech or SidewinderComputers. FrozenCPU is popular as well, IIRC.

Doing some searching for heatsinks/fans, I just realized a potential problem. My plan was to get the Corsair Vengeance series RAM, which from the looks of it has a pretty decent row of fins coming up. I've read that this can cause a space issue with some heatsinks. Does anyone use this memory? and if so, what heatsink are you using? Anyone know if the G-skill ripjaws series RAM has smaller heatsinks on it?

What particular model of RAM were you looking at? Those big fins are a bit gimmicky - they don't do a whole lot for you.

As far as I can find, the Nan's Gaming Gear company is the only one selling the newer model Thermalright heatsinks such as the Macho, TS 140 and new rev TS. That's why I linked it through Amazon, since you have protection buying through them. And the shipping is a bit high, but have you shipped anything lately? Prices on shipping for small companies or individuals has gone up a whole bunch in the last few years. But that MUX120 I linked at SVC is also a very good choice and has no interference problems with the ram. Plus, it does come with 2 sets of fan clips, making it dead easy to rig up a push pull fan setup on the heatsink. Which really isn't necessary, but it's nice to have for redundancy in case of a fan failure.

What kind of effect is the fact that this thing blows towards the back of the case will it have on the airflow of the antec nine hundred two case? That case has a big exhaust fan blowing out the top. If it has a negative effect on the airflow, is there a way to attach the fan on the bottom so that it pushes air up towards the big exhaust fan?

Nans may be sold out? Either that or their shipping info is not available from amazon and I am looking to put this thing together this coming weekend. So I've been looking at a couple of Zalmans at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059
This is more of a nicer shape for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
This one is a more traditional Zalman shape, but a bit funky for me. My concern is really the airflow. I'm not exactly sure how the airflow works on these fans and whether or not the way that airflow goes will disrupt the airflow in my case. But the fact that there is a 10 dollar rebate on it bringing it down to 38 bucks and the plethora of high ratings on newegg makes it impossible to ignore. Anyone have experience or an opinion on either of these two?

HR-02 Macho
The new revision of this, when you put a fast fan on it is the best bang/buck IMO to cool your CPU.
After that I'd recommend a Thermalright Archon but the HR 02 is what I think you ought to get. ALMOST NHD14 for 60% the cost.

Hey Theoc, what fan can you suggest when I add another one to my HR-02 Macho? 120 or 140mm, as long as its 12mm in width. I've got small space behind my hetsink, and I think only a 12m width fan would fit. :(

As far as I can find, the Nan's Gaming Gear company is the only one selling the newer model Thermalright heatsinks such as the Macho, TS 140 and new rev TS. That's why I linked it through Amazon, since you have protection buying through them. And the shipping is a bit high, but have you shipped anything lately? Prices on shipping for small companies or individuals has gone up a whole bunch in the last few years. But that MUX120 I linked at SVC is also a very good choice and has no interference problems with the ram. Plus, it does come with 2 sets of fan clips, making it dead easy to rig up a push pull fan setup on the heatsink. Which really isn't necessary, but it's nice to have for redundancy in case of a fan failure.

hey Mud, where exactly can I get anothe fan clip for my macho when I add another fan? Is there a UNIVERSAL fan clip that can be use in any 120 or 140mm fan?:confused:

Nans may be sold out? Either that or their shipping info is not available from amazon and I am looking to put this thing together this coming weekend. So I've been looking at a couple of Zalmans at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059
This is more of a nicer shape for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
This one is a more traditional Zalman shape, but a bit funky for me. My concern is really the airflow. I'm not exactly sure how the airflow works on these fans and whether or not the way that airflow goes will disrupt the airflow in my case. But the fact that there is a 10 dollar rebate on it bringing it down to 38 bucks and the plethora of high ratings on newegg makes it impossible to ignore. Anyone have experience or an opinion on either of these two?

The second one you linked will be totally inadequate for overclocking with. The 9500 is a design from 5 years or so ago. Had one myself and it had trouble dealing with a socket 939 AMD dual core proc when overclocking. The other one I haven't tested or handled, so I won't try to make a guess on it's efficiency. I do know the ones I posted will do well for you. And if you can stretch your budget a bit more, the Prolimatech Genesis is another outstanding choice. I presently have that review forthcoming very soon. Sidewinder Computer Systems is selling it for around $70 without fans. You can get a couple of low speed Yate Loon fans for it and overclock to your heart's delight.

hey Mud, where exactly can I get anothe fan clip for my macho when I add another fan? Is there a UNIVERSAL fan clip that can be use in any 120 or 140mm fan?:confused:

You can use the Venomous X fan clips with the HR-02 and Macho version if you are going with a 120 mm fan. But instead of installing a 120 x 12 mm fan on the back side, why not gut out a 120 x 25 mm fan out and then mount the fan frame on the back side to act as a duct to the exhaust fan on your case. That worked out very well on my Dragon Rider case when testing the Macho. It lined up almost exactly with the exhaust fan when testing in passive mode. I don't think a Macho responds well to a push pull setup because the fin density is so low, you don't have much resistance to airflow from the front fan in the first place.

Mud, i take some pics at my pc so you can see it and why do I need some 12mm width fan
001wul.jpg

002cwa.jpg

I just put the two 80x80x25mm fan outside of my case, because heatsink is just too big for these old case.

Back