• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I bricked my SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I have a Crucial M4 that I attempted to Secure Erase using Linux (via a USB to SATA connector, which I now know was a bad move). I set the drive password, attempted (and failed) Secure Erase.

So I removed the drive and plugged it back into the laptop; however, it refuses to boot, even when I put the password in (which is 'test'). It wont even let me boot off the CD with the SSD installed, it wont let me into the BIOS or boot selection menu and just brings up the password prompt.

I tried booting a Ubuntu CD and hotplugging the SSD, which caused the machine to restart.

Now, in either Ubuntu (via LiveCD on the laptop) or the Linux box I used, it won't show properly in HDPARM and I can't get the password off.

I just get this (in Ubuntu):

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 02 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 3a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ATA device, with non-removable media
Standards:
	Likely used: 1
Configuration:
	Logical		max	current
	cylinders	0	0
	heads		0	0
	sectors/track	0	0
	--
	Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
	device size with M = 1024*1024:           0 MBytes
	device size with M = 1000*1000:           0 MBytes 
	cache/buffer size  = unknown
Capabilities:
	IORDY not likely
	Cannot perform double-word IO
	R/W multiple sector transfer: not supported
	DMA: not supported
	PIO: pio0

Any ideas?

Attempts to unlock it fail:
Code:
root@ubuntu:~# hdparm --user-master u --security-unlock test /dev/sda
security_password="test"

/dev/sda:
 Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="test", user=user
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 02 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 3a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Should I try reflashing the firmware? (I don't need any data off the drive)

I checked - it wont. Password blocks fw upgrade. I know what the password *is* but it wont accept it.

So I left it a while and used a powered USB/SATA adapter I happen to have.

It's alive!

HDPARM actually tells me something useful but I can't get it to unlock the drive.

Hmm

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# hdparm --user-master u --security-unlock test /dev/sda
security_password="test"

/dev/sda:
 Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="test", user=user
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Invalid argument

Need a different Linux disk then, perhaps.

Methinks it dislikes the usb, but my laptop wont do sata hotplug. I need to get past the password screen, boot off the cd, and fix the issue ... not sure how.

So - I did some rummaging.

Turns out F1 lets you enter the Master password instead ... which is blank. Win.

Once I got home I used a desktop rig, booted Kubuntu from a pen drive and managed to secure erase the drive. Currently finding my Lenovo disks for the reinstall.

Glad everything is working for you, and thank you for following through with the solution. Too many people just drop threads when they find a fix....it's nice to see a solution posted. :clap:

Back