• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 1090T w/ ASRock 970 Extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fifedogg

Registered
Here are my settings thus far. What should I change? I cant seem to get her stable under a stress test. My PC just Freezes.

Edit: It wont stay stable for 15 seconds with Inteliburn Test but does 10 minutes just fine with Prime95 with a Max of 46* @ 3.840. I upped the cpu voltage to 1.45 and nothing else changed. Not sure why IntelBurnTestV2 makes it crash instantly as that what I used to use to test my 1055T without any major issue.

I bumped it up to 4.0Ghz and though it wouldn't crash in Prime95 it was showing this error and would stop the test on that particular core:

[Wed Dec 07 13:43:10 2011]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4921875, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[Wed Dec 07 13:44:17 2011]

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 4,619
  • IMAG0224.jpg
    IMAG0224.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 3,346
  • IMAG0225.jpg
    IMAG0225.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 4,176
  • IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 2,124
Last edited:
A few more pics

Attachments

• Capture1-3.JPG
    Capture1-3.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,904
  • Capture1-2.JPG
    Capture1-2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,919
Last edited:
Why are you overclocking with your fsb when you have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier? And are you overclocking directly in bios or using a software utility?

The main suggestions I have are:
1. Use the CPU multiplier, not the fsb to overclock
2. Overclock from the bios
3. Don't run your ram so fast. You've got it at 1532 mhz when the AMD integrated memory controller is only rated for 1333 mhz. The problem is not that the ram can't go that fast; the issue is the ICM.

Why are you overclocking with your fsb when you have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier? And are you overclocking directly in bios or using a software utility?

The main suggestions I have are:
1. Use the CPU multiplier, not the fsb to overclock
2. Overclock from the bios
3. Don't run your ram so fast. You've got it at 1532 mhz when the AMD integrated memory controller is only rated for 1333 mhz. The problem is not that the ram can't go that fast; the issue is the ICM.

Thanks for your help. I've gone 10 mins at 222 x 18.0 (4.0 GHZ) and I'm no longer getting that error with my memory at 586.7 (1173.4). My temps dont go over 47* ever so thats great. I"m gonna lower the timings to 9-9-9-24-33 and give her a long run on Prime95. I'm super happy with this board/CPU combo and appreciate your help.

Did an hour of Prime95 without any issuse and notice my temps not going above 45* (Core Temp) and never above 55* on the OC software that came with the board which I think is awesome considering I'm only using a cooler master 212+ with 2 fans (5 case fans). I think the NT-H1 Thermal Grease is working great.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
CoreTemp is giving the temp of the CPU cores which is the most critical reading. The OC software that came with the board is reporting the temp of the CPU socket area in the motherboard. Typically, with a good aftermarket cooler like you have the core temp will be lower than the socket temp.

Why don't you just set the HT reference to the stock 200, put the memory divider at 1333 and the CPU multiplier at 20x? That would give you 4.0 ghz as well and a little better memory speed. Right now for some reason you're still using the HT Reference to overclock for some reason. That was necessary with your 1055T because it had a locked multiplier but the 1090T is a black edition.

Yes, I really like ASRock products. They give good quality for the buck. They used to be the OEM division of Asus but split off a few years ago to do their own thing.

Them are some very good temps, much lower then mine on the same CPU, if you don't mind i would like to see a screen cap of HWMonitor under full load.

I need to see what the differences are between your socket and core temps are as my core temps are 10c lower then the socket temp at full load.

My socket temp gets to 55c with P-95 at just 3.4Ghz.

BTW, i definitely agree with trents above me with his Ram suggestion.

PS, UEFI BIOS have screen cap options, no need for the old camera :)

Last edited:
CoreTemp is giving the temp of the CPU cores which is the most critical reading. The OC software that came with the board is reporting the temp of the CPU socket area in the motherboard. Typically, with a good aftermarket cooler like you have the core temp will be lower than the socket temp.

Why don't you just set the HT reference to the stock 200, put the memory divider at 1333 and the CPU multiplier at 20x? That would give you 4.0 ghz as well and a little better memory speed. Right now for some reason you're still using the HT Reference to overclock for some reason. That was necessary with your 1055T because it had a locked multiplier but the 1090T is a black edition.

Yes, I really like ASRock products. They give good quality for the buck. They used to be the OEM division of Asus but split off a few years ago to do their own thing.

Thanks for your reccomendation. I did those changes.

Them are some very good temps, much lower then mine on the same CPU, if you don't mind i would like to see a screen cap of HWMonitor under full load.

I need to see what the differences are between your socket and core temps are as my core temps are 10c lower then the socket temp at full load.

My socket temp gets to 55c with P-95 at just 3.4Ghz.

BTW, i definitely agree with trents above me with his Ram suggestion.

PS, UEFI BIOS have screen cap options, no need for the old camera :)

Running a little warmer than I was last night but I have my heater on this morning as its a little chilly. I will make another run later when my room isnt soo hot.

Attachments

• temp capture.JPG
    temp capture.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,901
Last edited:
Nice! I'm using my 1090T with an old 880G chipset/AM2+ motherboard. even with 1.5V at 4Ghz it still crashed instantly when i start Prime95.
Planning to get new motherboard and CM 212 soon, so hoping I can do 4Ghz with good temps like you :)

Thanks for the screen cap :thup: your max socket temp is 57c against 44c max on the cores, that about compares to mine so i'm a bit more relaxed about it now, i did not know if such a big difference would be normal.

My next mission is to get my overall CPU temp as low as yours, i see your using a 212+ cooler, its clearly better then mine as your core temps are actually 2 or 3c more in difference, so that probably confirms its better at sucking heat off the die cap.

I already had my eye on a 212-EVO and this has just confirmed it for me.

Cooler Master have just made a sale :D

Thanks again.

Nice! I'm using my 1090T with an old 880G chipset/AM2+ motherboard. even with 1.5V at 4Ghz it still crashed instantly when i start Prime95.
Planning to get new motherboard and CM 212 soon, so hoping I can do 4Ghz with good temps like you :)

I'm really impressed with this board to say the least. Trents had a great recommendation to get this one and I'm glad I did. It has absolutely no problem at 4.0ghz. I'm wondering if I should try for more lol

Thanks for the screen cap :thup: your max socket temp is 57c against 44c max on the cores, that about compares to mine so i'm a bit more relaxed about it now, i did not know if such a big difference would be normal.

My next mission is to get my overall CPU temp as low as yours, i see your using a 212+ cooler, its clearly better then mine as your core temps are actually 2 or 3c more in difference, so that probably confirms its better at sucking heat off the die cap.

I already had my eye on a 212-EVO and this has just confirmed it for me.

Cooler Master have just made a sale :D

Thanks again.
Yeah I really like cooler masters products. I have one of the cases with 5 of there fans (2 sucking in and 3 blowing out) and 2 fans on my 212+ (1 sucking and 1 blowing and the one blowing meets a fan at the top of my case also pushing the air out). The 212+ is a great product for the price but is a little tricky to install the first time but once you figure it out its no big deal. I just install it on the MB before I put it in.

Like I said last night the max socket temp was 55* when my house didnt have the heater bumping lol.

I'm really impressed with this board to say the least. Trents had a great recommendation to get this one and I'm glad I did. It has absolutely no problem at 4.0ghz. I'm wondering if I should try for more lol

Yeah I really like cooler masters products. I have one of the cases with 5 of there fans (2 sucking in and 3 blowing out) and 2 fans on my 212+ (1 sucking and 1 blowing and the one blowing meets a fan at the top of my case also pushing the air out). The 212+ is a great product for the price but is a little tricky to install the first time but once you figure it out its no big deal. I just install it on the MB before I put it in.

Like I said last night the max socket temp was 55* when my house didnt have the heater bumping lol.

First, I would first focus on getting your NB and your HT Link overclocked. The NB (actually, its the CPUNB so don't get it confused with the chipset NB which has to do with the onboard graphics and the PCI-e bus). Overclocking the CPUNB can really boost memory performance since its part of the integrated memory controller. Increasing the HTLink frequency helps with stability when overclocking the CPUNB. Try the CPUNB at 2800 mhz and the HT Link at 2600 mhz. In order to maintain stability you will also need to give the CPUNB some more juice. Try about 1.225-1.25v.

First, I would first focus on getting your NB and your HT Link overclocked. The NB (actually, its the CPUNB so don't get it confused with the chipset NB which has to do with the onboard graphics and the PCI-e bus). Overclocking the CPUNB can really boost memory performance since its part of the integrated memory controller. Increasing the HTLink frequency helps with stability when overclocking the CPUNB. Try the CPUNB at 2800 mhz and the HT Link at 2600 mhz. In order to maintain stability you will also need to give the CPUNB some more juice. Try about 1.225-1.25v.

ok I made those changes and when I try 4.1 Ghz I get an error like I did before in Prime95 after about 5 mins as if its a memory issue (guessing). 4.2 Ghz happens at about 3 mins. If its a memory issue I'm going to try my other memory sticks that seemed to OC better.

Do you think I should mess with my timings?

Last edited:
What's your vcore at now? You will probably need about 1.45 or more to go beyond 4.0 ghz.

Did you give the CPUNB a voltage boost as I suggested?

It's time to see new pics of CPU-z: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Also, give your ram a small voltage bump to 1.55.

Did you give the CPUNB a voltage boost as I suggested?

It's time to see new pics of CPU-z: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Also, give your ram a small voltage bump to 1.55.
My HT link was able to go to 2600 before I updated my BIOS now it only goes as high as 2400.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,862
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,810
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,773
Last edited:
I'm very curious as to why I'm getting higher temps than you with stock settings with the same processor and cooler. I actually have a 3000rpm fan on my 212+ as well as a 3000rpm exhausting.

Overclocking your HT Link does not give any performance boost so don't worry about it. It's only done to support the stability of an overclocked CPUNB. Is the system Prime95 stable on these settings?

I'm very curious as to why I'm getting higher temps than you with stock settings with the same processor and cooler. I actually have a 3000rpm fan on my 212+ as well as a 3000rpm exhausting.

Both my fans also run at 3k rpm. What thermal paste are you running. Also how many case fans do you have. I have 2 case fans right above my exhausting fan of the 212+. I'm using NT-H1 Thermal Grease which seems to be working great.

Overclocking your HT Link does not give any performance boost so don't worry about it. It's only done to support the stability of an overclocked CPUNB. Is the system Prime95 stable on these settings?

My computer will not crash but i get errors in Prime95. I have no problem converting a 1080p .MKV file (Pretty much the most cpu intensive thing I do) Any ideas or should I just roll her back to 4.0ghz?

Last edited:
Back