• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Silent Fan for Cooling , will be install 4 on Side panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aya90

Hi i am using corsair 600T white and i am going to install 4 fans on the side panel but i do not know anything about silent fans.

But i google and most reviews are on noctua PF 12 .

Fan must be 120mm on ly

I can't hear the thermalright silent x 1200 but my hearing isn't great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004
I have both. The Noctua unit IS quieter. It actually isn't audible to me. Like at all. If you put your ear to it you hear the wind. I can't hear 'fan' noise from them.

The silent X is cheaper but the Noctua is quieter and has higher quality construction. Plus it's that brown color everybody wants in their case (I can say that I'm running four of them). Neither fan is loud, or even medium. They are both in the silent category. The Noctua is in the stealth ninja category. Also the Noctua fans include nice sleeved cables in a black sleeving which will look much cleaner. If you don't care about cost I would advise Noctua. If you do care there silent X isn't bad. It oddly does not seem to include any mounting screws. Noctua includes screws, a couple of molex and voltage resistors to act as fan throttlers, and I believe they include their also brown clip mount system where you don't use screws and it's just an anti vibration tab you pull through the screw hole made of rubber.

SAM_1132.jpg

See the brown things on the side there for the 140s I'm using as intakes? I think the 120 comes with those too.
BTW if you're not running 4 optical drives those Lian Li fan bays look like they match Corsair cases well and you can't have too many fans. Gentle Typhoon fans aren't that 'loud' either. People seem to find the 'note' they make less annoying than most. They are not silent like the noctua though.

This all depends how much air you need too. You can throttle the Silent X 1200 to say 1000RPM and have it as silent as the noctua at 1200RPM and spend $40 instead of $100 and move just a touch less air. Still a good bit of air with 4x120mm.

Last edited:
^ those Noctuas are excellent fans, a bit on the pricey side imo(especially if he is getting 4).

I have used the Coolermaster R4's and their 1200rpm version is relatively silent. Also $12.99 for a 4 pack, that is a great deal!

Yep. With a fan controller of some sort there's no need to buy $100 of fans. They are made excellently and I can't hear them but still they are expensive. I'm pretty sure they'll be running in 2028 like the IBM M keyboard the way they're made :).

^ Indeed, plus with most cases nowadays coming with built in fan controllers its really not that big of an issue.

So its

Noctua NF-P12-1300 - 1300rpm Premium Silent 120mm Fan

not

Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Premium Fan

right

Back