• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh Oh I let the magic smoke out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hugo 59

and it still works!

I upgraded my Tivo the other day and in order to do it you have to pull the harddrive from the tivo and make a backup using your computer then you have to hook up your new drive and bless it.

Well I had harddrives and cables everywhere, one of them fell on my cpu fan when I wasn't paying attention first I smelled the smoke then I saw it. I grabbed the harddrive off of it I rebooted and it's still working fine I can't believe it. WaaHooo!:)

Did you take the heatsink off and check the cpu? Because what you can't see isn't always fine =\ Like a bomb under you mobo, you can't see behind there very well, so anything could be back there. And please excuse that very bad analogy =\

Thats pretty cool, good job you are in the uhhhhh 1 percentile or so. You obviously had a very good chip that had more magic smoke than most come with from the factory. :)

Let me also say that it is nice to know that I am starting an "Anti-" trend....eh Antimatter?:D

Somebody set me straight please?

I guess the "magic smoke" is

a) an inert atmosphere of a sort, and as such will protect the electronics from oxidation, and ultimate failure.
(electropotentials forcing equilibria around...yadda yadda yawn sleep :confused: )
If that is the case, then letting the smoke out might shorten the overall lifespan, unless you really pile on the thermal gunk and seal the little blighter in.

b) Smoke is caused by insulation and other bits and bobs experiencing extreme heat and burning up, after casing has cracked and pushed some bits too close together..

Sounds like a flipping miracle that it still works whatever the case.
Just don't touch it!

I haven't noticed any lose in performance but I don't use that machine all that much. It's my backup. I'm kind of affraid to take the hsf off and see what the damage is though.:confused:

EDIT

Ok I took the hsf off the chip looks great. On the hsf where the artic silver had smeared to the sides it's black but the area that was touching the cpu looks like the day I put it on. The chip looks absolutely perfect tough, I'm kind of amazed. Cause it sure did stink.

Last edited:
moonunit said:

Sounds like a flipping miracle that it still works whatever the case.
Just don't touch it!

I couldn't help myself I had to see now I just hope it reboots.:eek:

And I see we have some new members in here posting! Welcome to the forums guys! Or you might have been around a while. I haven't been a round a whole lot so nice to have you here either way.

Back