Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

need best cooler 5.5" or under

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 05:05 AM Thread Starter   #1
DungeonLord
Registered

need best cooler 5.5" or under

like the title says i have a limited amount of space (5.5" at the most) and need the best cooler for the money. if i had more room i would use a hyper212 but its too tall so what will fit?
DungeonLord is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 05:14 AM   #2
dejo
Senior Moment Senior Member

10 Year Badge

I am thinking that the coolermaster v6gt without the top shroud is right at that, but not sure what the dimension is. I have one on the way for the daughters box but wont know till it gets here.

Asrock z77 ex6
2600k @4.8ghz
Samsung 2x4gb rams
OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
EVGA GTX480
Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
Arc Midi case
dejo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 05:52 AM Thread Starter   #3
DungeonLord
Registered

i think the v6 will be too tall. after i looking some i think the coolermaster hyper n520, artic cooling acfz13, or zalman cnps7x are my best choices anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12-09-11, 06:15 AM   #4
dejo
Senior Moment Senior Member

10 Year Badge

have you seen the photos of the v6 without the top shroud on? it seems to shorten it by quite a bit.

Asrock z77 ex6
2600k @4.8ghz
Samsung 2x4gb rams
OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
EVGA GTX480
Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
Arc Midi case
dejo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 01:11 PM   #5
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

You don't mention what platform and processor you are trying to cool, so it makes it a little harder to recommend something for your needs.

With that said, I think the Thermalright AXP-140-RT would be a good choice (maybe the best choice) for you, given the height restrictions. That comes with a fan included, but you can also replace the included fan with a higher performance model if needed. Installed height with the included fan is just over 100 mm tall (4 inches).
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 07:34 PM Thread Starter   #6
DungeonLord
Registered

sorry about that, it will be going on an am2 build (athlon x64 3800+) that i plan on overclocking extensively..... that is if i can keep it cool. the reason i wanted a tower type cooler is because the case is a dell dimension 2400 case from 2004. needless to say the airflow in the case sucks and i would rather have a hs that pushes the hot air towards the rear fan instead of blowing it around the case.
Old 12-09-11, 07:39 PM   #7
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

Good luck then, finding something that's worth using and isn't noisy as all get out.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-09-11, 08:12 PM   #8
Knufire

Might be better off finding a cheap case and cooler? Hyper212+ is $25ish, plus a case that'll fit it might run you $75 if you can find some good deals.

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-10-11, 06:39 AM Thread Starter   #9
DungeonLord
Registered

nah i'm sticking with the case cause its beefy and solid..... maybe solid is an understatement....... it makes all other cases feel like they're made out of paper and since i use this computer to travel with i just want to fix it up a little. after thinking i believe i will try to fit the hyper n520 and if that doesnt work i'm gonna get the artic cooling cooler.
Old 12-10-11, 07:06 PM   #10
ehume

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Seven. I hate it. I am very leery of their products now. In reviews they do poorly.

Good Cases for Air Cooling

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + HD 4600 w/1GB system RAM | GA-Z87X-UD4H f7
Armageddon w/two NF-A15's | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup
CM N600 + 2 NF-P12+ULNF front, TY-140 top intake, NF-S12A mid-case, PWM frankenfan side intake
ehume is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-11-11, 02:49 AM Thread Starter   #11
DungeonLord
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Seven. I hate it. I am very leery of their products now. In reviews they do poorly.
care to tell me why you dont like their products other than they do poorly in reviews?
Old 12-11-11, 04:52 AM   #12
ehume

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonLord View Post
care to tell me why you dont like their products other than they do poorly in reviews?
I am leery of their products. That means I mistrust them, and would not buy one unless I read a zillion reviews saying it was a truly great product. That did not keep me from buying a PWM fan to test, but it was very inexpensive.

There are product lines I dislike. But not theirs. As I said, the reviews I have seen that include their heatsinks put them pretty far down. And from personal experience I know that an open cage fan is noisier than an equivalent enclosed-blades fan without any improvement in performance. Since they like that open-cage fan design, I expect the heatsinks that they make which use fans like that will be needlessly noisy. Hence I am leery of their heatsinks.

But if they sell a really good one, the reviewers will tell us.

Good Cases for Air Cooling

Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + HD 4600 w/1GB system RAM | GA-Z87X-UD4H f7
Armageddon w/two NF-A15's | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup
CM N600 + 2 NF-P12+ULNF front, TY-140 top intake, NF-S12A mid-case, PWM frankenfan side intake
ehume is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-11-11, 09:37 AM   #13
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

My experience with their cpu coolers has been a big "MEH". You can do better for the price they sell for and I really don't like their AMD mounting system. It mounts the heatsink pointing towards either the psu or the video card, which is hardly an optimum layout for efficient cooling.

Really, your best bet is to buy a better case than that old Dell so you can run a good heatsink on your system.
Old 12-11-11, 09:37 AM   #14
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

My experience with their cpu coolers has been a big "MEH". You can do better for the price they sell for and I really don't like their AMD mounting system. It mounts the heatsink pointing towards either the psu or the video card, which is hardly an optimum layout for efficient cooling.

Really, your best bet is to buy a better case than that old Dell so you can run a good heatsink on your system.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool