• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Prime95 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

I used Prime95 to test a recent overclock. It ran for 4 hours without a problem. I stopped it and after a while (and after rebooting) I ran Prime95 again. I checked 2 hours later and found that 1 Worker had stopped an hour before due to an error while the other 5 Workers were still running.

What does this mean? Is my overclock not stable? Thanks.

Technically, no. But you may find it gives you no problem in actual day to day computing.

It will cause games to crash when it cycles through that core. Usually when I'm playing around with my OC, it's my NB speed or too much NB voltage that causes this exact issue -- particularly with my 4th core.

You haven't really told us where your settings are, so we can't really pinpoint where or what you could do to reduce or remove the failure. :shrug:

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the help and advice.

This morning I decided to give it another go. I bumped up the CPU Voltage 1 notch from 1.425V to 1.425525V.

Within 1 minute of starting Prime95, 5 Workers stopped because of errors. I stopped all Workers and started again. Close to an hour later 2 Workers had stopped. Something's really wrong with my OC!!!! Here’s the Prime95 results.txt.

[Sat Dec 10 07:27:00 2011]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Sat Dec 10 07:43:29 2011]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Sat Dec 10 07:58:37 2011]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Sat Dec 10 08:14:45 2011]
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
[Sat Dec 10 08:30:07 2011]
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
[Sat Dec 10 08:42:32 2011]
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!

My present OC settings in BIOS are as follows.

Current CPU Frequency (Read Only) 225 x 16.5 MHz
Current DRAM Frequency 1499 M Hz
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency 225
Adjust CPU Ratio [16.5]
Adjusted CPU Frequency 3712
Adjust CPU-NB Ratio [10]
Adjusted CPU-NB Frequency 2250 MHz
OC Genie Lite [Disabled]
CPU Core Control [Auto]
Unlock CPU Core [Disabled]
AMD Turbo Core Technology Auto
DRAM Frequency [DDR3-1333MHz]
Adjusted DRAM Frequency 1499 MHz
DRAM Timing Mode [Unlink]
> Advanced DRAM Configuration
HT Link Speed [10]
Adjusted HT Link Frequency 2250 MHz
> HT Link Control
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) 100
CPU Voltage [1.425525 V]
CPU-NB Voltage [1.205000 V]
DRAM Voltage [1.706 V]
NB Voltage [1.372 V]

Ram timings are set at 9-9-9-24-34-2T.

I apologise for being a baby here. But I'm really new to all this. I'd be more than satisfied if I can get it stable at 3.7GHz. What should I do now? Thank you.

EDIT
DRAM Voltage of 1.706 V appears high. I chose this figure because OC Genie usually sets this to 1.804 V.

Your NB voltage seems high. Also try upping the cpu-nb voltage to 1.22 and cpu voltage to 1.43.

Thank you for your response.

I tried what you said but I got a Worker stop within 5 minutes of starting Prime95. So I tried some other adjustments.

CPU-NB Ratio 10 -> 9
CPU-NB Freq. 2250MHz -> 2025MHz
HT Link Speed 10 -> 9
CPU Voltage 1.425525V -> 1.430250V (as you suggested)
CPU-NB Voltage 1.205000V -> 1.220446V (as you suggested)
DRAM Voltage 1.706V -> 1.648V

All other settings remain the same.

I'm now into an hour of Prime95 and no errors yet. I'll try to keep it on the whole day today.

EDIT
Worker #5 stopped after 1 hour 42 minutes. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Yes I have HWMonitor. With my present settings the Max Temp I get to is 63C, even after 4 hours of Prime95.

Anyway I've now increased the CPU Voltage from 1.430250V to 1.430775V to see if this helps. No errors yet after 45 minutes of Prime95 and the Max Temp showing in HWMon is 61C.

That's not to high but at the limit, if it goes to or higher then 65c then you will get thermal problems.

I think the memory is still not right, try overclocking using the multiplier instead of the FSB, try with x18.5 and 200 FSB and see how it goes.

Thanks Frakk.

I've tried starting all over again before by setting everything to Optimal Defaults and only adjusting the CPU Ratio to x18. The computer wouldn't even boot.

So I put back the most "stable" settings I knew of and have tried to work up from there.

If this still doesn't work I will put back everything to Optimal Defaults and start with x17 and try to work up from there. But at the moment Prime95 is still running without errors after 1 hour 15 minutes and Max Temp is 62C.

The Vcore needs to be 1.35v @ x18

Vcore = CPU Voltage?

Prime95 hasn't thrown an error yet so I'll let it run. If the settings I have now are good (or bad) after a few hours of Prime95, I'll save them and start all over again using your suggestion.

Thanks again Frakk.

Thanks Frakk.

I'm thinking the next setting I will try will be x18.5 (as I want 3.7GHz) @ 1.4V. Right now I'm using 1.43V to get 3.7GHz.

EDIT
It has now been 5 hours and Prime95 has not yet thrown an error. Max temp shown by HWMon is 63C. I'll consider this a success for the time being and start to try overclocking with the CPU multiplier.

Last edited:
After succeeding(?) in stabilizing 3.7GHz using my previous settings I tried to do it again using just the CPU multiplier as Frakk suggested.

I did not change anything of my previous settings but adjusted the CPU multiplier to 18.5 and reinstated the CPU-NB Ratio to 10 (2000MHz). Did 30 minutes of Prime95 and it seemed good. Adjusted the multiplier to 19 and changed the RAM timing from 2T to 1T. Did another 30 minutes of Prime95 and there were no errors.

Tried x19.5 and it was BSOD galore. As soon as I started Windows it would BSOD. If not, it would definitely BSOD as soon as I started Prime95. Increasing CPU Voltage all the way from 1.430775V to 1.432875V did not help. Increasing CPU-NB Frequency to 2200MHz did not help. Changing RAM timing from 1T to 2T did not help. If I could get into Windows it would BSOD as soon as I started Prime95.

I've now changed back to the x19 settings and doing a run of Prime95. It has been 1 hour now and Prime95 has not yet thrown any errors.

I would have been happy with 3.7GHz. Now I've got 3.8GHz. :D

Thank you guys.

3.8Ghz stable on a Phenom with Air cooling is not bad at all.

One of the things i have found with my 1090T is that's its not easy to get it to run at around 4Ghz.

It seems to depend on many variables, if your Motherboard and RAM are not top of the line its just a never ending battle.

The highest i managed to get mine to run was 4.1Ghz. beyond that it would BSOD no mater what i did, and i tried everything.....

Its not the CPU, that will run @ 6.4Ghz if you freeze it, there is something about my mid-range enthusiasts board that can't handle the CPU over 4.1Ghz.

I run mine @ 3.7Ghz daily, its fast and snappy like that and not to hot under load.

My Motherboard and CPU together cost me £210, or about $330US and i got the performance i wished for, and more, at a very reasonable price.

Had i gone Intel 2500K (and i seriously considered it) i would have got better overall performance that i don't need for BF3 and my APP's, and better overclocking. But it would have cost me a solid chunk more.

I have no regrets.

Thanks Frakk.

I'm thinking the next setting I will try will be x18.5 (as I want 3.7GHz) @ 1.4V. Right now I'm using 1.43V to get 3.7GHz.

EDIT
It has now been 5 hours and Prime95 has not yet thrown an error. Max temp shown by HWMon is 63C. I'll consider this a success for the time being and start to try overclocking with the CPU multiplier.

Is this CPU temp or core temp?

Core (6 of them) temp.

Anyway it was too good to be true. Just returned back to my room from dinner and found my computer had rebooted. A BSOD no less. And it had been running Prime95 for close to 5 hours without a hiccup and max temp was only 64C. Before stepping out of the room the current temp was 59C. Didn't expect it to BSOD. I had only left the room for about 20 minutes.

I've increased CPU Voltage from 1.430775V to 1.432350, changed ram timing from 1T to 2T and started Prime95 again. I'll leave it running overnight if it doesn't BSOD before I go to sleep.

Back