• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

planning on getting this build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LEADSTEPPER

Registered
ok ill state what im probably going to buy and i just need some pointers to see if im not choosing the best i can for the money etc and if the parts will all work well together (i plan to take the phenom x4 to 3.6 - 3.8 ghz)

cpu : phenom x4 955
mobo : asus m4a77td (the mobo and cpu off a friend for (£100) all in good condition

ram : Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

psu : i already have a 500w psu

cooling : Antec Kuhler H2O 620

case :NZXT Tempest 410 Elite

gpu : already have a 6870

this all comes to £235.

also any tweaks /bios etc that should be done when i have built it.?

thanks

i know a 500w psu is alittle low but a new psu isnt in my budget right now. i have a sata drive that is fine also

You don't list a HD. What kind of psu do you have?
Your buying a new 4GB memory kit? Can't get an 8GB kit cheap where your at? 4GB is still fine for the most part.

That will run fine I am sure, i would be concerned about the life span on your PSU even if it i s a good brand, they do wear out, are oyu planning to use the stock heat sink, if so 3.8 *might* be tough depending on ambient temps, with a hyper 212+ i hit 55 @ 3.8 on P95 small FFT. So with stock cooler you may get stuck @ 3.6ish, then again maybe you get a stud an hit 4.0 just keep an eye on temps.

well currently i have ddr2 300mhz so yes a 4gb ddr3 kit is good for me

the psu is an icute 500w it runs this pc fine with a old intel quad core and a 6870 but i intend to buy a 750w as soon as i get the money after the main parts

That will run fine I am sure, i would be concerned about the life span on your PSU even if it i s a good brand, they do wear out, are oyu planning to use the stock heat sink, if so 3.8 *might* be tough depending on ambient temps, with a hyper 212+ i hit 55 @ 3.8 on P95 small FFT. So with stock cooler you may get stuck @ 3.6ish, then again maybe you get a stud an hit 4.0 just keep an eye on temps.

yh i plan to get a new psu after this stuff

and yes i am buying an antec 620 kuhler watercooler sealed loop for the cpu cooling :)

also will i see a big jump in performance from my old rig.

intel q8300 2.50ghz

packard bell eg34m motherboard

radeon 6870

500w psu

stock heatsink

**** old case

lol

another question i see this motherboard only has one cpu fan conector and a 3 pin case fan conector but the case im buying has 3 fans onit. how would i use alll 3 fans? or is it possible to run them straight from my psu without pwm? thanks

nope dont worry i loooked around and the case has molex conectors for its fans :) sweet

Back