• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell off 6970 now or keep it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notJUSTguitar

Hi.
I bought an XFX Radeon HD6970 2 weeks ago for $350.
It's been awesome.
However it looks like the 7000 desktop cards will come out next month.
Do you think I should sell my 6970 now so I can get most of my money back?
I'd like a 7970 if the performance is a lot better. Even if it's not that much better I like to have the top of the line card :D

Oh, I plan on getting 2 more 1080P screen for 3-screen eyefinity in the near future.

Thanks,
-notJUSTguitar

and i should hold on...card will still hold value and you see for any 7xxx cards on ebay when they released

as I card reseller I can honestly say no one knows if that would be a good idea or not.

If you have a backup card that would handle everything you want to do while waiting for the next gen go for it as your 6970 will only drop in value as time goes on. However if you want to play recent games in the mean time it honestly won't be worth the hassle in my opinion.

Also not only do we not know exactly when cards come out we also don't know if it will be a paper launch, which means info only with none or very limited stock, and exactly what price level the cards that first come out will be at. Basically know one can know if you can get a better performing card for $350 in the next month or two the cards that come out may be closer to $500 and very hard to get.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replies.
I only have the old Radeon HD5550 (DRR2 version) which I was using before my 6970...which doesn't run newer games very well at 1080P.
I guess I might just hold onto my 6970. I could live with my HD5550 for 3-4 weeks but if it's going to be much longer then that it would be a bummer.

Basically know one can know if you can get a better performing card for $350 in the next month or two the cards that come out may be closer to $500 and very hard to get.
Yeah..I'd want the 7970 or keep my 6970. I'd be willing to pay closer to $500, I just don't want to have to wait more then a month to get it.

Will the new cards drop in price after being out a month or two do you think?

Anyone else have an opinion?

the new cards will not drop in price until they have to which would be march at the earliest with kelpers release.

Back