• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I only need to use a VPN for a single website, but it seems when I connect to one, ALL traffic currently going to/from my computer (downloads, webpages, etc) get routed through the VPN. Any way to only have one site (or program I guess) accessing the VPN?

I don't know of a way to do that other than running a virtual machine on your system and connecting the VPN in it instead. Would that be a viable solution?

Connecting to multiple networks ruins the security of a VPN, as an intruder could then compromise your computer through the internet and directly attack the private LAN. Keep in mind that avoiding security features in the VPN software is often against security policies for a network.

It is possible, however you'll likely have to write a crafty cmd script. First, the script will initiate the connection. Then it shall edit your windows route table. This will make it so that all traffic NOT destined to your VPN/intranet goes to through the primary physical internet connection.. This can be a bit tricky and it'll be diffucult to walk your through without seeing actual outputs, so I'd kindly ask if you could post the results of the following commands while VPN'd in:

Code:
route print

Code:
netsh interface ipv4 show add

Mask out all sensitive IP numbers if you decide to post this information. I could try to walk you through writing the script, but it'll probably be easier to write it then explain how it works.

Back