• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a quick answer on tubing 3/8 or ½?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
I just ordered my pump, water block and heater core from danger den today, and I had a quick question for you. I ordered it all for 3/8” tubing. Should I have gotten it for ½”?? I emailed them about my order and they said I still have time to change it. So should I stick with 3/8 or not? I’m getting a Maze2-1, Eheim 1250 and a heater core. Thanks!
:)

If all your barbs and attachements are 3/8" you are all set. If, however, you have 1/2" attachements, you are are better off going with the 1/2" tubing. Different sizes create flow bottlenecks.

The water block comes with 3/8" Fittings, but I can get ½” ones for it as well. The pump and the rad come with what ever you want. Will I see a big performance between the ½ and the 3/8? If not, I’ll get the 3/8 cuz I already got the tubing.

If I were you, I would change everything to 1/2" barbs and tubing. This will cause a lot less restriction to water flow. It will also relieve some back pressure on your pump, which will help seal life on your pump.

Now I am going to confuse you ;)

Most of the Ehiem pumps I have seen have 11mm output barbs, very close to 3/8" and in the inline configuration have a 13mm intake (close to 1/2"). The barbs can be replaced, they screw out.

Most of the Danger Den stuff is 3/8", if your heater core is 3/8" then you should be fine with all 3/8"

Ok, can’t you guys ever agree on anything? One says ½ and one says 3/8. Are you trying to confuse me? :mad: :mad:

jk :p

Oh, as far as tubing is concerned, would you recommend I get silicon tubing or the clear stuff you get a Lowe’s?

If you can afford it, get the silicone tubing. The vinyl tubing will harden and shrink over time and the silicone will stay normal for a lot longer.

½" connections all around and ½" silicone tubing are the only way to fly. It is absolutely worth the extra few bucks you'll pay to go this route. I would definitely amend that order to DD, and get their fantastic ½ tubing. Get at least 6 feet, especially if this is your first watercooling setup. You need a couple feet to make mistakes with.

Thanks ColdMiser, I'll do that. :) And btw I like your avatar. :D I laugh every time I see it. :D

1/2 in. for sure, no doubt about it. Email dan, he's real cooperative, change to 1/2. But go with tubing from a local hardware store after you have it all set up and know how much you'll need.

ColdMiser said:
½" connections all around and ½" silicone tubing are the only way to fly. It is absolutely worth the extra few bucks you'll pay to go this route. I would definitely amend that order to DD, and get their fantastic ½ tubing. Get at least 6 feet, especially if this is your first watercooling setup. You need a couple feet to make mistakes with.

Right on the head of the nail... 1/2" is better :).

jimmytp said:
But go with tubing from a local hardware store after you have it all set up and know how much you'll need.

Excellent point. Get the cheap crap from Lowes to build the system so you know exactly how long to cut each segment of the expensive tubing. Put the whole thing together and in the case like it will be for real. Once you have all of the positions/alignments/lengths tweaked, then pull it all apart and cut the right lengths of the silicone tubing, put it all together, leak test it, and reinstall it in the case.

I did this and it saved me a lot of headaches in the long run.

P.S. - Glad you like the avatar. A lot of people have been telling me it scares them!

"The 3/8" fits perfectly in my ears, while the 1/2" does not"(quote from third rock from the sun)

Back