• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright HR-02 Macho

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

As suggested from members of this forum, I got the HR-02 Macho. I installed it today, but I haven't turned my computer on just yet because I am still waiting to receive my video cards. One thing I've noticed about the heatsink is that it wiggles a little. It doesn't seem like it's very sturdily mounted. All the screws are about as tight as I'd like to make them. Btw, it's mounted on an ASUS z68 Deluxe gen3. Anyone else notice this issue with the heatsink? Should I be concerned?

Btw, for those who are wondering, this thing barely fits with G-skill Ripjaws X series RAM. Just a hair bigger and it would block the last RAM slot.

In retrospect, I may have also put a bit too much arctic silver 5 on my processor. How much damage can this do if it runs a little bit off the CPU? Should I take it all apart and reapply?

You are supposed to screw all the screws down tight on the mount with the Macho. That includes the ones mounting the mounting adapter to the mobo and also the 2 screws that tighten down the heatsink to the mounting adapter. Also, be sure you used the small white plastic spacers when mounting the front mounting plate to the backplate, like the pic I have in my review right here.

EDIT: If you are worried about the amount of tim, then remount the heatsink. You just have to remove 2 screws to clean it and remount.

You are supposed to screw all the screws down tight on the mount with the Macho. That includes the ones mounting the mounting adapter to the mobo and also the 2 screws that tighten down the heatsink to the mounting adapter. Also, be sure you used the small white plastic spacers when mounting the front mounting plate to the backplate, like the pic I have in my review right here.

EDIT: If you are worried about the amount of tim, then remount the heatsink. You just have to remove 2 screws to clean it and remount.

All the screws are pretty tight. I think any tighter and I'll be pretty close to threading them. In your install, did you notice this wobbliness? It almost feels like the motherboard is flexing a but, but the mobo is on 9 screws into the case so it shouldn't flex that much, right?

As for the thermal paste, would it damage anything if it was a little bit too much and it ran off the edge of the cpu a little?

No, it won't damage anything unless you really glopped it on there. The base is slightly bowed, so the excess will just be pushed to the edges a bit. And I didn't notice any particular looseness or sloppiness once everything was tightened down. But, I didn't do a test mount on LGA155, just AM2, LGA775 and LGA1366. I don't have an extra SB rpoc to test with even though I do have an extra 1155 board.

Upon further inspection, I think the wobbliness I'm noticing could be due to the motherboard itself flexing as I'm putting a bit of pressure on the heatsink. So I guess that means it's mounted pretty firmly. lol.

My video cards finally arrived today, and I put them in, so now I'm ready to close the case and turn the computer on for the first time. Problem: The side panel of my antec nine hundred two v3 does not fit on the case because the fan bracket that is on the side panel bumps into the heatsink. hmm....

I ran into the same problem with an Antec 900 and a TRUE with a build for a church. We ended up just leaving the door fan off and removed the bracket, IIRC. You might try removing the bracket and then seeing if you can manually screw the fan to the door somehow if you really want to keep a door fan. A lot of cases that have door mounted fans have this problem with high end heatsink.

How do you remove the bracket? It is plastic and I am afraid that if I try to saw it off, it will crack the rest of the plastic part of the panel.

Heck, it's been so long ago I don't remember. :( There should be some way to remove it without breaking it though. Is it one of the fan clips that is interfering? Or is it the fan placement itself?

I don't have the fan yet. I'm surprised it's not here yet because I bought it from newegg last week. Right now though, it's the bracket arm that would hold the fan.

Can you take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut the bracket arm off? The plastic should be soft enough to do that with a bare hacksaw blade not attached to a hacksaw.

I think I'll just get a different case for this one. I'll order the Coolermaster HAF 922. That one doesn't have fan brackets on the side panel, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, a HAF 922 shouldn't have any problems with clearance. I used one of those for my daughter's build, but I went watercooled with it instead of high end air.

From the looks of it, the HAF 922 doesn't have the fan bracket on the door. So hopefully, it'll play nice with the HR-02 Macho. It will ruin my plan of having twins though. haha, my old computer is in a antec nine hundred two (v1 I guess).

I think I'll pull up a chair. Be sure to return when you've gotten the new case.

FYI, you may be waiting a bit longer. I will be calling ASUS tomorrow about some issues I'm having with my motherboard. So if it comes to having to replace the board, I probably won't be re-assembling until after I get the new board.

Just put together the computer in the new case today. Everything fit fine. I'm not a fan of the HAF 922 though. I think the quality of the case is definitely inferior to the Antec, but that pesky fan bracket makes this a easy decision.

Back