• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linking a address to an ip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

So now that I have a good server up and playable it would be nice if we did not have to always remember the ip but rather type in the name of a website which was the address to the ip. So lets say I go to godaddy.com or something and purchase a website domain and pay the yearly fee, is there a way to link this to the ip of my server to provide an easier means of logging in? such as in stead of having to type in xxx.xxx.x.xx we would simply type in www.xxxxxx.com, without having to pay some additional fee as it is my server that will be using the bandwidth and the site will just be an address?

most places that sell domain names will usually ask if you want them to host your dns record as well.... it may be free, they may charge.

no-ip.com is free i use it for my teamspeak server just gotta make sure you click the link in your email every month or run the software on your server that updates your ip address, for instance my team speak server is shadowol.servebeer.com, they have a list of addresses to choose from and you just choose the first part like i chose shadowol

So now that I have a good server up and playable it would be nice if we did not have to always remember the ip but rather type in the name of a website which was the address to the ip. So lets say I go to godaddy.com or something and purchase a website domain and pay the yearly fee, is there a way to link this to the ip of my server to provide an easier means of logging in? such as in stead of having to type in xxx.xxx.x.xx we would simply type in www.xxxxxx.com, without having to pay some additional fee as it is my server that will be using the bandwidth and the site will just be an address?
Do you only need to access the website internally? If so, this is easily done with no cost. If not, what the users above me posted is correct.

I would suggest using a free domain, like from No-IP. Otherwise, when your IP changes, you'd have to put the request in and wait (sometimes days) for it to fully propagate to all the DNS servers. Not to mention, you'd have to pay for it as well.

I would suggest using a free domain, like from No-IP. Otherwise, when your IP changes, you'd have to put the request in and wait (sometimes days) for it to fully propagate to all the DNS servers. Not to mention, you'd have to pay for it as well.

:thup:

although most dns updates happen within the hour of the change, day's could happen depending on the load

Well, not exactly. When I update my domain with dyndns it usually takes less than a few seconds to update...
This all depends on what your TTL is set to...

They aren't changing the root path of the domain, so there is no delay. When I add a subdomain to my website (thideras.example.com), it is instant because the server handles it. If I change the IP of the main server (example.com), I have to wait for all the DNS servers to update and there are always ones that take days.

They aren't changing the root path of the domain, so there is no delay. When I add a subdomain to my website (thideras.example.com), it is instant because the server handles it. If I change the IP of the main server (example.com), I have to wait for all the DNS servers to update and there are always ones that take days.

Yes I was referring to the root path of my domain. The TTL value on my top level domain is 60 seconds, and I have never had to wait longer than that after an update.

If you are in fact using DYN-DNS's standard service and having problems with slow updates I would suggest you check your TTL's or ask them whats up. Because seriously I can list 30 different ip addresses that I have updated to and posted from on my forum, and I have never ever had a slow update.

Last edited:
I use afraid.org, and it plugs in easily to my Tomato router for updates. Otherwise you can run a script to make sure the DNS records are up to date. It's free - takes a bit of learning to set up but not much.

or, the no-ip.com has a program you just install on the server, and it automatically updates the ip on the foreward when your ip changes :) still free :p

That is one thing nice about DD-WRT as johan851 mentioned, it allows you to plug in your login and domain info and forget about it. :)

Back