• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Configuration probs w/ A7m266-D....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cybyrius

Registered
i have been having problems trying to install and os on my computer. I want to istall xp bu it keeps saying that the setuop cant run in dos. i dont know what the hell is wring and it about took a flying leap on the the ally way early today. Does anybody know what might be hte problem. like ,maybe configuration with the bios or the hard drive or what.

2 xp 1700+'s
a7m266-d
wesdig 40gig
2 wbk II 38's
2 crucial micron pc2100 non ecc 256's

OK, what OS are you installing? I am guessing Win2K or XP since you'll need an SMP-aware OS.

My guess is you're trying to boot and install from a win98 bootdisk.

What you need to do is put the Win2K/XP CD in your CDROM drive and set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM first. That way it'll automatically start the Win2K/XP install. Once you boot and get setup running, next time it reboots, set your boot order normally (I set it to floppy first, then hard drive second, and CDROM third)

I know you can make boot floppies for Win2K but I don't think you can for XP. If you put the Win2K CDROM in a working computer there's a tool in one of the directories that will make the bootdisks for you (you need 4 blank floppies).

Hope this helps.

Cybyrius said:
i have been having problems trying to install and os on my computer. I want to istall xp bu it keeps saying that the setuop cant run in dos. i dont know what the hell is wring and it about took a flying leap on the the ally way early today. Does anybody know what might be hte problem. like ,maybe configuration with the bios or the hard drive or what.

2 xp 1700+'s
a7m266-d
wesdig 40gig
2 wbk II 38's
2 crucial micron pc2100 non ecc 256's

don't run setup.exe but /i386/winnt for install under dos

but i could still use Win98's floppy disk to format/patition the hard drive right??

yes, why not ?

Back