• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or GPU bottle neck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter62

Hi guys im just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, i think im getting a bottleneck when playing skyrim, I know my rig isnt state of the art or anything but ive just upgraded to 8GB DDR3 ram aswell....

Heres my current setup -

CPU: Q6600 2.4 Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II
Mobo: Asus P5G41T-M LX
RAM: GEIL 2 X 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (9-9-9-24)

Also i was wondering would a SSD provide any performance increase due to faster read speed (for loading in-game textures etc)

All feedback is appreciated,
Thanks, Peter

Ok ill check that in the mean time as for the resolution im playing at is 1680X1050

Thanks

Hi guys im just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, i think im getting a bottleneck when playing skyrim, I know my rig isnt state of the art or anything but ive just upgraded to 8GB DDR3 ram aswell....

Heres my current setup -

CPU: Q6600 2.4 Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II
Mobo: Asus P5G41T-M LX
RAM: GEIL 2 X 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (9-9-9-24)

Also i was wondering would a SSD provide any performance increase due to faster read speed (for loading in-game textures etc)

All feedback is appreciated,
Thanks, Peter

Welcome to the forums Peter! :D

Question: Are you running the Q6600 @ stock speed? If so, it's definitely the processor. There's a couple of threads running on this over at AT forums, and generally BF3 is more graphics intensive, while Skyrim is more CPU-intensive.

Does your current motherboard support overclocking? I would recommend looking into that to speed things up. Also, like Bobnova pointed out, you may need to adjust the game settings to a more optimal level.

Good luck! :)

Yeah, I believe its more the processor. The card itself if good.

Yeah im running stock clocks.... anyway thanks for your help guys
looks like im to learn overclocking hehe finally use my liquid cooling for the purpose it was designed :p

Regards, Peter

To get respectable modern day type performance from that chip you need your FSB up as high as it'll go to eliminate that, which is the primary bottleneck of the 775 architechture, and get your cpu core clock up as high as it can go. Absolute necessity.

Back