• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to monitor F@H in VirtualBox/Ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Ok, I am all set up and ready to fold, but it will drive me nuts since Linux networking on a VM is a darn nightmare...

I have Samba installed (Ubuntu 11.10)
I am Bridged on my VM/host settings
I can see my windows comps in my linux
I CANT see my VM on my windows
Passwords Usernames... WTF, I dont need them, but I "have to use them" on whatever I click... can I turn them off
F@H folder is set to share, cannot access it since I cannot see it on my Windows comp
All I need to do is access the F@H log... is there a simple solution?

:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

have you right-clicked the folder in Ubuntu and shared? Nautilus should add the appropriate permissions.

Do you have a user created that matches username/password as the windows machine you are trying to connect from?

After installing samba, you need to set the password for the user that you are trying to use (even if it's already setup on ubuntu itself)

sudo smbpasswd -a xxxxxxxx (xxxxxxx = username)

then you have to type password twice. Can you hit it via IP?

nm...
With all the settings I screwed with... I can connect with the ip address instead of navigating to it with the ol'point and click

Sorry for the false alarm!

But if anyone else finds this on the google and needs help:
i went to run on my 'HFM machine' (LOL, no you cant have it Har) and typed '\\192.168.x.xx', then 'enter'... Blamo, it opened :D the "x" depicts a real ip number that is diffrent for all installs)

With all the settings I screwed with... I can connect with the ip address instead of navigating to it with the ol'point and click

That seems to be the limitation of using the automatic samba share setup in Ubuntu. You can go into the smb.conf file and set a netbios hostname but I never fool with it.

I'm also trying to figure out how to monitor my Mint Debian VM SMP2 client from my windows host machine using HFM.

Guess I need to spend hours and days perhaps searching for the RTFM answer.

Yeah, I was using \\ipaddress\folding to access it... then one day, it decided to change to \\vmcomputername\folding.... i found that odd.

Does Mint not use SMB or some other sharing program like that?

easy to set a static IP if you don't have a DNS server that will let you resolve via computer name.

Back