• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS/first boot up questions on a new X79 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crb806

After putting everything together and turning the computer on for the first time should I install windows 7 right away or are there things I need to do in the BIOS? how do I get in the BIOS?

I'm using a H80 liquid cooler is there anything special I need to do?

Also is there anything special I need to with using only 1 SSD and installing w7 directly on to that?

My last build was a X58 which was a few years ago and I don't remember doing anything in the BIOS except maybe setting the drive to boot from(not even sure on that one)?

I apologize for any facepalms I have unknowingly commited.

Just install windows at all stock.

You get in to the bios by pressing the delete button.

Just mount the cooler.

After installing windows, the chipset drivers, and GPU drivers, run WEI.

Just install windows at all stock.

You get in to the bios by pressing the delete button.

Just mount the cooler.

After installing windows, the chipset drivers, and GPU drivers, run WEI.

What is WEI? I'm building a new x79 computer too...

You need(should have) W7. Seriously. Even my company is getting off XP... If corporate america is going to 7, so should you. :p

Oh without question. Current box (4 yrs old) is on XP. Upcoming January x79 build will be Windows 7

I always update BIOS first, install Windoze, update Windows, then I get to installing chipset and video drivers, then run WEI.
Motherboards always seem to ship with outdated BIOS that just ooze problems when trying to install drivers, especially with newer chipsets.
Many X79 motherboards are coming with USB flashable BIOS, easy to do loading a USB stick from your old PC. Your manual can tell you if your board supports it, and the files needed.

I have read a few X79 reviews where it's needed to ONLY list your boot drive (in BIOS). Don't worry about that though until there seems to be an issue with your particular board.

Have a ball with your new toys!
Sorry, but I know little about the H80 and zip about SSD's...

Last edited:
I would install chipset and graphic drivers before running the update. The chipset drivers are the base for your entire PC! Also makes using your PC faster as it knows what to do with data efficiently with them installed.

Back