• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS releases update to increase BD performance in W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Here is the article link and the reported issue it fixes...

This article introduces an update that optimizes the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers. Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592546/

Someone test this plzzzzzzzzzz!

Last edited:
On it...

Can we get some stock runs in this thread including CPUz main tab and memory tab - we'll need something to compare against.

By the way, I'm installing Windows 7 now. So it will be until this evening after the work day before I post any results.

If SMT is the fix here I don't see much improvement, based on fah number and phoronix test suite in linux (which has a fully functional SMT scheduler) there probably isn't going to be any huge gains in Windows. Maybe a few % but nothing revolutionary.

If SMT is the fix here I don't see much improvement, based on fah number and phoronix test suite in linux (which has a fully functional SMT scheduler) there probably isn't going to be any huge gains in Windows. Maybe a few % but nothing revolutionary.

I agree, if anything, I would expect a modest improvement and only under certain workloads.

I thought the limited testing in W8 showed that already. Nice to see if the same increases hold in W7 though.

Well something strange has happend after the windows update. cinebench 11.5x64 no longer recognises the cpu as 8core/8threads. its now a 4core/8thread. look at the screeny attached.. all previous benchmarks are previous to the update as you can see there recognised as 8c/8t.

slight performance boost with cinebench too :)

Attachments

• cinbench.PNG
    cinbench.PNG
    508.4 KB · Views: 208
I think you ran it at different speeds? I see one at 4.62Ghz and the recent one is 4.82Ghz?

Interesting about the 4c/8t thing now. There have been very interesting discussions on that throughout many sites. Maybe they are finally calling a spade a spade..or maybe its reporting wrong.

I thought the limited testing in W8 showed that already. Nice to see if the same increases hold in W7 though.

I ignored W8 benches, as we didn't know if the changes were due to OS differences or if they were due to better processor support.

A hotfix on W7 would actually imply a difference due to better processor support.

I think you ran it at different speeds? I see one at 4.62Ghz and the recent one is 4.82Ghz?

yes you are correct unless that is a sweet spot for scaling on the BD.. im no expert im just guessing..

I could downclock to 4.62 again and run the test post update for you ?

I dont mind :)

regards

sal

Last edited:
I seem to be getting ~same/similar scores in Cinebench 11.5 (multi-cpu) after updating to the hotfix.

I ran WEI and my processor score went up from 7.7 to 7.8.

Orange is after the update and blue was before:
Cinebench11546GHzW7hotfixforBD.png

3DMark CPU Scores show a 1.4% improvement it seems. (24207.69-23866.24)/23866.24=0.0143.

I seem to be getting ~same/similar scores in Cinebench 11.5 (multi-cpu) after updating to the hotfix.

I ran WEI and my processor score went up from 7.7 to 7.8.

Orange is after the update and blue was before:
Cinebench11546GHzW7hotfixforBD.png

Well that's odd, BD 8150 has 8 logical cores right?

Has M$ screwed up the patch?

Who knows. Like I said in a previous post above, they are either calling a spade a spade (finally) or they botched it up. It sure performs like a quad core with HT... :p

If you look in the BD thread, Dolk has clarified, more or less, the difference between modules and cores and.......

Who knows. Like I said in a previous post above, they are either calling a spade a spade (finally) or they botched it up. It sure performs like a quad core with HT... :p

If you look in the BD thread, Dolk has clarified, more or less, the difference between modules and cores and.......

Im inclined to agree earthdog perhaps they are putting a stamp on it.

Yeah, i'm no expert but this to me looks like 4 logical cores and 2 threads per core.

Its Hyper-threading to quote Intel jargon. :sly:

The worlds first 8 native core processor

My arse....:p

The other (smaller on the right) is a Thuban diagram, clearly 6 logical cores.

Attachments

• AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_(8_core_CPU).png
    AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_(8_core_CPU).png
    93.7 KB · Views: 149
  • thuban_diagram.jpg
    thuban_diagram.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
8-core comes from the two "integer clusters" per module, so 8 integer clusters. However, each couple of integer clusters share a single FPU, so 4 FPUs.

I think of BD as one FPU + one integer cluster is a core, so 4 cores with 4 extra integer clusters.

Im no expert either but looking at the diagram why didnt they split the FPU into 2 so each interger had its own FPU.. 8 fpu's that would boost performance would it not ?

Back