• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 140

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I have had this sempron 140 that will unlock sitting around for a few months now. I finally had some time to bench on it and the results are kinda of meh. Im impressed considering the nature of this CPU and how easily it clocked to 3.7ghz stable with both cores. I managed a boot at 4.1ghz but was unable to get a CPU-Z. Im done with the short benches and am now awaiting 1024 to complete. Really without going cold im going nowhere with this chip.

I am pretty sure that memory is my limiting factor here. I ran out of steam at the same speed with both my kingston and mushkin sticks. I know the mushkins can do almost 2300mhz on my wifes fusion rig so I know they are not the limitation. I think that the IMC on this chip is at its wits end is my guess. The 990Xa has an X4 dram multiplier but I cant get that to work even at stock.

Have you manually set ram timings? I've found that will get me into some dram multipliers that would otherwise fail with auto timings.

Yes I always set dram config manually. I tried stock timings, 999, 11-11-11, and a bunch in the middle. 1620mhz dram and not an inch further. If I could get x4 multi rocking I think theres alot of room to go here still but oh well. About 1/3 through Pi32M after it finishes up im going to post these and probably call it a night.

Are you sure that you are not at the fsb wall for the board? I have not worked with any am3+ boards, but many am3 boards are pretty bad in fsb department.

It could be but I hope not. 300 is the furthest ive taken this board thus far my old 925 used to cap off around 285 so IDK. I do have another AM3 board ive been considering taking this sempron cold on but I doubt it would be worth it.

The reason I said it wouldnt be worth it is because the other motherboard is a cheapo biostar AM3 7xx board, It did core unlock this cpu no problems though so maybe.

if it is one of those a770e3, like I had for a while, then I wouldn't bother... :)

I had the first version, so yours may be better. It was definitely not a benching board. I have decided that if I am going cheap on a board I am going to go asrock. Their cheapies alway seem good for the $.

IDK it used to crash when I tried to push my 925 5mhz over stock. I bought it for like $15 a while back to upgrade a socket 939 rig. It served its purpose at the time. Now its just sitting around.

Back