Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 03:31 PM Thread Starter   #1
liaMV92

Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

I hope I have weirded this correctly, basically ever since I upgraded to a EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB I have been having problems in Skyrim. Basically low FPS outdoors with low GPU usage, in BF3 I get fine FPS indoors on low player servers but outdoors it goes down as does GPU usuage. Saints Row 3 also has the same issues, I've always had bad luck with PCs so either I'm cursed or my CPU is holding me back. My specs are:
8GB DDR2 @ 1066mhz
GTX 580 1.5GB
AMD Phenom X4 II BE 965 3.4Ghz
64GB Crucial SSD (For OS)
1.5TB Western Digital (Games)

Windows 7 64bit

I hope someone can give me some tips on upgrading, I have tried EVERYTHING. Changing drivers etc, none of it helps
liaMV92 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-19-11, 03:36 PM   #2
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

"weirded" THAT you missed ()..otherwise I gotcha!

Have you tried overlocking the CPU to find out? What resolution do you play games at? What FPS are you getting on average in these scenes?

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-19-11, 03:50 PM Thread Starter   #3
liaMV92

Haha "worded" I blame my lack of sleep! I play at 1650x1080, and indoors for Skyrim 60-120FPS. SR3 60-70 indoors, outdoors 35-45 sometimes 60 if I'm not looking out to the open.
I tried OC but I have a stock cooler and it didn't go to well. i.e didn't boot up Oh and running all games on max, tried lowering settings but still the same effect.
Old 12-19-11, 04:05 PM   #4
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

1680x1050 is a lowish res for the mighty 580. You would likely do better in overclocking a bit...

Im not sure what it SHOULD be getting is the problem. I have a couple 580's but I do not own the game. Seems like for how that game looks, those FPS are pretty good.

What are your in game settings? All Ultra? Any AA/AF on?

EDIT: Read this article... Im betting its the CPU...

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-19-11, 04:13 PM Thread Starter   #5
liaMV92

Custom AA16 everything on. Hmm CPU any reasons why? Also while your at it got any good reccomendations for a better CPU, one that is up to level with my GPU. The problem in BF3 is also the annoying stuttering, but that's proberly game related.
Old 12-19-11, 04:16 PM   #6
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Check out the link in my edit. Honestly, it seems all AMD's struggle compared to Intel CPU's. Id spend $40 on a CPU cooler and overclock that CPU as far as it will go stable.

Turning down AA to 8x would probably help. And like that article mentioned, a lot of shadow and wind calcs are dumped to the CPU so lowering shadows should increase performance a bit as well.

Old 12-19-11, 04:22 PM Thread Starter   #7
liaMV92

Ah yes, I remembering see this article perhaps your right. Overclocking may be a good idea, I'd buy a bulldozer but I have read their not that good apperently.
Old 12-19-11, 04:23 PM   #8
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Not in this game it seems (Bulldozer). Get a cooler and overclock. Plenty of guides at this site (see signature for one!).

Old 12-19-11, 05:16 PM Thread Starter   #9
liaMV92

Will do cheers! May I ask for a good cooler? Without being a bother of course, one that will max out the OC I can get if possible.
Old 12-19-11, 05:24 PM   #10
voodoo do'er
Disabled

oc the chip to 4ghz and it should do a lot better
voodoo do'er is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-20-11, 05:42 AM Thread Starter   #11
liaMV92

Gonna get a Corsair H80 and OC to 4ghz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.