• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICH SATA Control Mode = IDE for SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeyw

ICH SATA Control Mode = IDE for SSD? [SOLVED]

Hi

I've just migrated a lot of data from an older 64GB SSD to a 128GB SSD. Everything is working fine but I'm reading that you should use AHCI with SSDs. When I go into the bios and select that, I get a BSOD in the windows loading screen.

I turn it back to IDE and it's all working fine.

Am I losing performance by using IDE?

Details, motherboard is an X58-USB3, SSD is a Samsung 128GB 830 series. The firmware is up to date (so says the accompanying software).

Thanks for any help. Pic related.

Attachments

• DSC_3189.JPG
    DSC_3189.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 4,364
Last edited:
Hmm, thanks, I guess it is something I should try to fix. Any idea what may be causing the BSODs when I switch to AHCI?

The little windows logo animation runs fine for about a second then without fail a very rapid BSOD. It stays on the screen for about 0.1s so I can't even read anything,.

Its probably because the OS isnt set to AHCI, however, in many cases WIN 7 does auto adjust itself but thats different on any PC and may not work with some. Else might have to tweak registry first.

Besides, AHCI isnt a "could use" its a "must use", because TRIM command wont work without, and its a massive gain to SSD to have such functions.

Ok, I just did a search based on that, and came to a similar sounding problem. Downloaded a fix to test it, restarted and it now appears to be working!

How strange.

capttripppp maybe you could try this file and see if it helps you as well? After it booted properly Windows installed a load of drivers then asked to restart again, now it appears to be AHCI and working properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Edit- and my WPI disk rating went from 7.2 to 7.8! Not that I read too much into that.

I was just going to pop in with the microsoft registry fix lol.. But yeah this fix might work, but also might present itself in weird ways sometimes. That is why it is recommended to have the SSD installed with AHCI enabled in the BIOS before even insalling the OS. Then win7 sets everything accordingly from the start. Fresh OS install FTW :D

I dont know why this type of fix isnt included on the SSD manufacturer websites though..

Its the same fix.. just automated. Ive had zero issues with moving from IDE to AHCI. Diaz, have you read somewhere that this is a problem? I havent come across it.

Heh, you'll need to quote it... there are A LOT of links there to look through and I didnt see it at first glance in the visible text.

Heh, you'll need to quote it... there are A LOT of links there to look through and I didnt see it at first glance in the visible text.

I guess I read that part on another website, I've been looking at too much SSD info :shrug:

But here is the part in that link where it explains how to fix the registry manually when switching from IDE to AHCI in windows..

Post #2 of http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds
5th one down:
**How to: Change SATA Modes After Installation!**

Last edited:
Back