• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intresting Experiment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

I laid my computer on its side, took the side panel off and ran a 20 minute OCCT stress test, at about 14 to 17 minutes i wafted air into the open computer with the side panel (an amusing picture yes i know)

Not hard just gently wafting....:D

It worked, as you can see it brought the Core temps down about 3c, as soon as i stopped the temps went up again.

in conclusion i think i will get a nice big turbine to bolt into the side of my new case when i get it after Christmas. :attn:

Attachments

• 2011-12-22-03h57-Core #0.png
    2011-12-22-03h57-Core #0.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 66
Or you could hire someone to "waft" for you while you compute. It might stimulate the economy.

Yeah you might check craigs list, since I hear that they have a number of applications on there for 'wafters'.

ROTFLMAO. Hehehe.

OCCT...?

Not heard of this before, so I d/l'ed it last night. Seems quite complete as a testbed/all-in-one utility. I like the reports it's generates when finishing a run. I would often start Aida64's stability test just to get a running graph of temps/volts while testing with Prime95. It's not quite as serious a test at Prime95's torture test, but not to far from it either -- At least my my systems response while testing.

Anyone else use this?

-Rodger

OCCT is a very good CPU stress tester. It actually stresses the CPU harder than the Prime95 blend test and will cause your CPU/core temps to climb about 2 C higher than Prime 95 blend. However, the Prime95 blend test stresses the memory more than OCCT does and is a more balanced test in my opinion. And, you can always use the Prime95 small FFT option to place more load on the CPU and less on the ram.

Prelude to Stability...

Okay "trents" we might as well tell them the real deal. While everyone is running around trying to get out of passing stress testing...we are running all the testers we can find. I run Prime95, LinX and OCCT.

At least that is generally so on an AMD system. The idea that it passes everything I can test with and bench with gives me a better idea that the thing is stable or as stable as I know how to test for stability.

Then after all that testing and if my Video card is overclocked as well, I generally run ATI tool to see what shape my video card clock is in.

But I see that my testing will now have to pass "Frakk's" latest version of the *waft* test to ensure stability while wafted on its' side. More tests. Oh well that is life. :rofl:

Prime is a great tester no doubt but i find it a little obtuse and i like the reports you get from OCCT, they are very useful, like trents said it will stress the CPU just as well if not better then Prime.

For me its the CPU stressing that matters, i don't see a great need to torture the RAM so much, there not really expensive modules anyway and so i already know they probably would fail when hammered to with in an inch of there lives, as long as they hold out during OCCT stressing i'm happy all round.

lol @ RGone

I did a short test this morning, but unless I test it for a couple of hours, I'll not be able to say it's as tough a test as Prime95 is. One thing about a loud (up to 6000 RPM), temp controlled, radiator fan, you can "hear" how hard your CPU is working pretty well ;>)

It won't reach 6000 RPM with my new settings until CPU socket temp hit's 64 C. Still playing with SpeedFan speed controller, so things may change as I find better ways to setup.

-Rodger

Back