• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Gmail Filters do you use and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

Last day or so I have been playing around with gmail filters to make managing my email easier.

So far i have these:

GotYa emails me a photo every time I miss type the screen lock on my phone, this filters them out.
Code:
Matches: subject:([GotYa!])
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "[GotYa!]"

all emails that have attachments (that are not from me) get labelled so I can find them easier if I need to redownload
Code:
Matches: from:([email protected]) has:attachment
Do this: Apply label "HasAttachment"

this one gives all facebook and twitter emails a label and skips the inbox so I don't drown in notifications.
Code:
Matches: from:(*@facebookmail.com|*@postmaster.twitter.com)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "Social", Never mark it as important

all email from uni accounts getting labelled so I can find them easier.
Code:
Matches: from:(*@lsbu.ac.uk)
Do this: Apply label "LSBU", Never send it to Spam, Mark it as important

this one is a work in progress, trying to filter out all mailing lists or news letters.
Code:
Matches: from:(specialoffers* | shops-newsletter* | email* | newsletter*) 
Contains: (viewing the newsletter" OR "opt-out" OR "opt out)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "MailingLists"

gives all paypal and ebay emails their own label
Code:
Matches: from:(*ebay.com|*@paypal.com)
Do this: Apply label "Ebay & Paypal"

any emails I send to my self in their own label, and skip the inbox, often when i need to remember stuff i email my self, this stops me from getting notifications about them.
Code:
Matches: from:([email protected])
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "Insanity"

most of mine are still a work in progress seeing how they deal with email for the next week or so before I decide weather they help me or not.

What gmail filters do you have, do you find they make you more or less productive?

It isn't a gmail filter because it is on yahoo. However I use a yahoo account when I sign up for websites or things like that. Occasionally places or services will email you coupons if you register an email. For example places like redbox or dave and busters will email you coupons but I don't want those clogging up my email inbox. So I just filter emails from those addresses into a coupon folder and if I am going to use one of those services I just look in there to see if there are any updated ones.

Also I get tons of email from the website meetup so I filter those into a subfolder as well.

Here's a high-level of my email setup. I don't keep anything in my inbox, once I read it, I either archive it or Star it for follow up later.

Label: Bacn -- All flyers, newsletters, etc. This is email that I want, but don't want mixed in with my normal mail.
Label: System -- All email from my servers (everything from cron job issues to SMART warnings to backup failures, etc).
Label: Forum Replies -- All forum reply notifications/subscriptions, PMs, social networking updates (Twitter, Facebook), etc.

I have a few other labels for individual mailing lists that I'm on. Each label has one or many filters that will label+archive+notspam the incoming mail.

I have the Multiple Inboxes Lab installed, so I see:
- Inbox -- Has my unseen email
- "is:unread AND (label:System OR label:Forum-Replies OR label:Bacn)" -- All of my "other" email, except mailing lists
- "is:starred" -- All email that I've read, but need to deal with at some point in the future.

For any email in my System/Forum Replies/Bacn, once I read it, it disappears (unless I Star it).

Back