• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GT 520 x2 SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

Can you SLI two GT 520 cards, assuming the PSU and mobo support it? It doesn't list it on any parts on the newegg one, so I want to make sure.

Edit:

For a bit more information, my stepdad bought my mother the ACER Predator G3 (I tried to talk him into building it).

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/PT.SHBP2.001

Comes with a GT 520. I'm assuming the PSU and mobo won't be able to support it, but if they do (I'm going to make sure first), I want to get her a second GT 520 to stick into SLI with it.

Last edited:
The PSU is 500W. Check the connectors; if there are any PCI-E Connectors.. Then I would honestly suggest a full-upgrade. A 520 GT isn't a particularly powerful card for gaming.. For low res and low-medium details I guess it'd be fine but for an actual gaming machine.. Not so much.

What resolution is your monitor? If it's 1080p. I would recommend a Minimum of a GTX 550 Ti or a HD 6770. (MINIMUM) :p. If it's more like 1600x900 or 1680x1050, the HD 6770 1GB would be a perfect card choice.

If you want more grunt; GTX 560 Ti or HD6870 (You should find the HD6870 cheaper than the GTX 560 ti).

But this is all probably out of budget...

As for your original question. Assuming the PSU/Motherboard supports it.. I would assume you could SLI them.. But I would say it's most likely not worth it. It's an entry level card; so I'm not sure if it supports it anyway..

Probably your best option; if you can find a cheap one. Would be to find a Used GTX 460. (Non-SE model).

But again; this all depends on your resolution/budget.

HD 6770 1GB

This would be my choice.. For around double the price of a GT 520 (but still less than 100 after rebate) this card is probably the best low-end budget card you can get price/performance wise. Keep settings on Medium; AA off, and at 1080p you'll be sweet for 90% of games out there!

On a final note; the HD 6770 1GB only requires a single PCI-E 6-pin connector.. So if your machine supports only a single connector; you'd be hard pressed to find a more powerful card!

For like my 4th edit of this reply.. I cannot find any figures/numbers on your power supply; so you're going to have to physically check that yourself. Being 500W I would assume it would hold at least a single PCI-E 6-pin.. But who knows.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what my mother's running. I could ask her, but it would have to wait until at least tomorrow night (it's her Christmas present). She plays World of Warcraft (and that's it), running at 10-12 FPS on absolutely lowest settings. The GT 520 is a large upgrade (obviously), but I was looking to make it a bit better.

I'd go with a budget of around $50, and I don't want to take the chance of getting a used card. That's why I was looking at a second GT 520.

The Newegg Power Supply Calculator says that these parts:

1x Intel Core i5 (LGA1156) CPU
1x High End Desktop Mobo (to be safe, I'm assuming it's actually a regular one)
2x NVIDIA GT 520 GPUS.
3x 2GB DDR3 RAM sticks.
1x Combo drive (DVD/CDROM).
1x 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD.

Pulls about 354W. Does that sound about right? It sounds a little low, to me.

The 520 does not support sli. I think the lowest that supports sli is the 550Ti. 2 550TI's = roughly 1 570

You would be better off with a gt430. though you could also look at getting a gt545, mc has a zotac one for 109. Will work with your psu.

The GT430/440 is a much better card, as would be a 6670 and possibly a 6570.
A 6670 would not require a power connection.

A 6670 would be a good option then imo.. if you can find a cheap one. Also 354? I don't think so. With 2 gpus running off the board alone.. and an efficient sandy bridge. Well cos you're not able to run 2 anyway.. lol. You'd be pulling less than 250 watt under full load. Ignore psu calculators. Full of crap lol.

Back