• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce or Radeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kttdkt

Would it be better to get a Geforce 3 and o\c enough to where it is a Geforce 3 Ti500. Or is it better to just get a Radeon 8500, since it is a bit cheaper, and o\c which might even be better than the Geforce 3. Which is better?

Well I have read alot about both and seen benches of both time and time again the radeon kicks @SS it overclocks very well and the features for the money can't be touched, I would go radeon everytime.:)

Xp 2000+ @ 1760
Swiftech mcx462
Abit KR7a Raid
256 mb crucial pc2100
Ati Radeon 8500 (retail)300/600
2x 40 gb on Raid "0"
13gb

Tbird 1400 @1500
Abit kt7a (non Raid)
Swiftech mcx462
768 mb pc133
20 gb maxtor 7200
32 mb ViperII

I think the best advice i could give would be to do a lot of research on this yourself before deciding on what to go with. I could point you to different reviews and such but i think it's more important for you to go through and really search for yourself. If you really want/need some help finding some information i can point you in the direction of some reviews and such but as i said before i wouldn't recommend that.

As far as my personal preference.....either one really. They both are great cards and each have their strengths and weaknesses. If you go with ATI then i'll just say that some people have still having some driver issues with them but their releasing new and better drivers all the time but for now you might have to put up with some annoyances that come with the card but then again you might not. The original GF3 doesn't really have quite the power the 8500 does but it's not far off and it has good driver support for it. (Just 2 of the bigger differences between the 2). However, whether you go with one or the other, i would wait. With the new generation of cards coming out from both companies i would wait until the prices come down to get a cheaper buy.

One last word of advice. Don't go on 3dmark scores alone. There are many other things to take into consideration than 3dmark and many other benchmarks too.

Yeah, for a ton of info, go check out the $$$ for $$$ thread . We've been having the debate for a week or so now. There is tons of information out there.

I think my friend said it best when he said "Whatever you get, GF3 or 8500, you'll be happy with the looks and performance either way. And look at it this way, both of them roll over my TNT2 and my Voodoo."

It doesn't really matter what you choose. The ATI driver issue is over as far as I can see. No one reports driver issues any more. Nvidia has an awesome support base. I have an MX 400 and an 8500 and they were both easy to get working and are great for the money. Now the Ti500s are going down...it's all a matter of how long you're willing to wait.

There really isn't a decisive "better card" between the two, but we love to debate about it.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Back