• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3930k & p9x79 Deluxe Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edkoch

Santa brough me a sweet new build and I'm looking for recommendations on overclocking settings.

System:
CPU: i7 3930k
MotherBoard: Asus p9x79 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaw DDR3-2133 CL-11-11-11-30
Cooling: Corsair H100 CPU closed loop water

I've been playing with the auto an manual settings and can't seem to get her over 3.5g without it de-posting/resetting to bios defaults. Any recommendations/thoughts/theorys on clock and voltage settings would be much appreciated (coming from an old northbridge system so trying to knock off the cobwebs).

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Give these settings a try for 4.7GHz, and adjust the DRAM voltage as necessary to match whatever the modules are rated at...
Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner – Manual
BCLK Frequency – 100 
CPU Clock Gen Filter – Enabled
Memory Frequency – DDR3-2000 to DDR3-2133
EPU Power Saving Mode – Disabled
DRAM Timing Control – 11-11-11-30

DIGI+ Power Control
CPU Load-Line Calibration – High

CPU Performance Settings
CPU Ratio – 47
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology – Disabled
CPU Vcore Voltage – 1.3-1.4v
CPU VCCSA – Auto
DRAM Voltage (CHA, CHB) – 1.6v
DRAM Voltage (CHC, CHD) – 1.6v
CPU PLL Voltage – Auto
VTTCPU Voltage – 1.3-1.4v

Still no joy

Thanks Red, I entered the settings as mentioned. Can see 4.7g and DDR 2133 listed in yellow at the top of the AI Tweaker page, but when I reboot the system posts at 3.2. Checked CPUz and speed is confirmed at 3.299. Am I messing a step that causes the system to boot with out the overclock settings active?

*I've taken screenshots of my setting if you'd like me to post them.

Memory info & screenshots

Sitting at 16g of DDR-2133 right now.

AI overclocking settings (sry about the color...MSPaint ftl)
picture.php

Digi+ settings:
picture.php

CPU performance settings:
picture.php

Voltage settings:
picture.php

Disable EPU Power Saving Mode, and change the DRAM frequency to DDR3-2000. And make sure to manually adjust the four primary timings to 11-11-11-30, w/ CAS Latency set to 2T. You might also want to set the VCORE Boot Up Voltage to 1.35V, which matches the current Vcore.

nope..nadda...nothing

Thanks again Red, but my bios doesn't seem to be applying the settings I've entered everything you've mentioned and it still reboots at 3.2. To clarify, it's not crashing or forcing a reboot to apply bios defaults. It's rebooting like normal (not even kicking the power off to apply new power up/voltage settings) and doesn't seem to be applying the settings. Very strange behavior.

Is there an "allow overclocking" option/switch in the bios I need to enable? I had assumed that setting AI tweaker to manual would cover that...

X79 chipset and lga 2011 require you to enable turbo to overclock sir, please enable it and get back to us. Only enable turbo till you see if its stable, then you can turn on throttling if you like.

Thanks everyone, the last pic of the advanced settings was wrong. The Asus bios actually forces Turbo Mode Enabled when you change the clock settings. Here's the latest round of pics for AI Tweaker and Advanced Settings.

AI Tweaker overclocking settings:
picture.php

Advanced settings:
picture.php

I've tried clock settings of 36 thru 47, DDR timings of 1600/1866/2133 and voltage setting of 1.3/1.4/1.5 with the same results. I then choose to save and exit :thup:. But it just reboots at 3.28g without crashing or stating that overclocking has failed please enter bios setup. I know I'm missing something simple or my MB is fragged.

*Anyone else running a i7 3930k & Asus P9x79 Deluxe? Would love to know your CPU/Memory/Voltage timings and settings.

So it reboots at normal settings without telling you it has failed, when you enter the BIOS after the restart are all the settings still in place?

Does your board support multiple BIOS profiles? Im thinking you may have adjusted the secondary BIOS.

Lower the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600, w/ both DRAM Timing Control and VTTCPU set to Auto. Also post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab.

Thanks again Red, but my bios doesn't seem to be applying the settings I've entered everything you've mentioned and it still reboots at 3.2. To clarify, it's not crashing or forcing a reboot to apply bios defaults. It's rebooting like normal (not even kicking the power off to apply new power up/voltage settings) and doesn't seem to be applying the settings. Very strange behavior.

Is there an "allow overclocking" option/switch in the bios I need to enable? I had assumed that setting AI tweaker to manual would cover that...

I am having the exact same issue.. Still reading and tweaking.....

Last edited:
I'm using also the p9x79 deluxe with i7-3930k and I'm suffering exaclty the same problem!!! Did anyone solved this issue in the meantime?
Everytime I reboot, the system starts up with 3,2ghz, then I have to manually load a OC profile with TurboV EVO to get my 4,5ghz back. Its very anoying! :(

I am having the exact same issue.. Still reading and tweaking.....

From what I have heard is that this board will not OC properly, suggested boards are either the p9x79 Pro or the Rampage Iv.

I have seen these issues in multiple forums.............

not just here...
I have ordered the Rampage IV also using the 3930k CPU

I finally was able to get my P9X79 Deluxe Board to over clock the 3930 processor
I have been hearing on countless occasions and forums that users of the ASUS Deluxe P9X79 main board will not hold the settings when over clocking. The quirk is this, Each setting you have to manually enter a number figure in YOU MUST PRESS ENTER AFTERWARDS!!!
Most boards I have worked with you just type in the values and arrow down and all is well. Well not with this board. I got it to overclock stable on the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe board with the Intel 3930k CPU at a stable 4.8 Ghz

Here are the following settings I used

1. Open up the Advanced BIOS settings
2. Go to AI Tweaker
3. Set your AI Over Clock Tuner to = Manual
4. Set your BCLK Frequency = 100.000
5. CPU Strap leave at Auto
6. Clock Gen Full Reset leave Enabled
7. Turbo Ratio set to = By All Cores
8. By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS) Set to = 48
9. clock Gen Filter Enabled
10. Memory Frequency = Set to what ever speed your memory is ie: PC1600 set to 1600 ie: PC2033 Set to 2033 and so on
11. EPU Power Saving Mode set to Disable
12. Go to CPU Performance Settings (Its towards the top of the screen) Set it to 48
13. CPU VCORE Voltage = Manual
14. CPU VCRE Manual Voltage set to = 1.450
15. CPU VCCSA Voltage set to Manual Mode
16. CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage set to = 1.265
17. DRAM Voltage (CHA, CHB) set to 1.645
18. DRAM Voltage (CHC, CHD) set to 1.645
19. CPU PLL Voltage Set to: 1.88125
20. VTCPU Voltage set to 1.11250
21. PCH 1.1v Voltage set to 1.11250
22. PCH 1.5v Voltage set to 1.55000
23. VTT DDR Voltage CHA-CHB Leave at Auto
24. VTT DDR Voltage CHC-CHD Leave at Auto

With these settings I am running stable at 117F Which is not too bad. I finally figured out the Enter after each setting by looking at someone elses numbers and they were a different color and I am going Hmmmm
somthing aint rite here, that is when I set a value and pressed ENTER and it turned the same color as his and I said I got ya now. and it did work.

Last edited:
Thanks Red, I entered the settings as mentioned. Can see 4.7g and DDR 2133 listed in yellow at the top of the AI Tweaker page, but when I reboot the system posts at 3.2. Checked CPUz and speed is confirmed at 3.299. Am I messing a step that causes the system to boot with out the overclock settings active?

*I've taken screenshots of my setting if you'd like me to post them.

There is a little Quirk about this Deluxe Board I have found that I think will solve your problem. You MUST MANUALLY enter the value in the space provided THEN PHYSICALLY PRESS THE ENTER BUTTON TO SAVE AND SET IT PERMANENTLY. I was having the same issue of no settings sticking and I watched a YouTube video and took notice of the users fingers and saw that he was pressing the ENTER button after entering each setting ie: VCore Voltage lets say you enter 1.250 in the space provided then instead of Arrowing down Physically Press the ENTER button you wil see the field turn color in some cases and then Arrow Down do the next setting. You will be fine. See my above post of my settings to attain 4.899 Ghz. I also created a couple of BIOS Profiles to easily change at boot time to different configurations depending on What I am doing.

Last edited:
Back