• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VMWare Player 4.0 supports 8 virtual cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Per the page here: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/overview.html

Most Advanced Virtualization Platform

Built on over 10 years of virtualization excellence, run the most demanding applications with VMware Player’s advanced memory and CPU management technology. Run 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems with up to eight virtual CPUs and 64GB of RAM dedicated to each virtual machine. Driverless printing makes your PC printers automatically accessible to your Windows and Linux virtual machines—no configuration or drivers required.

3.1 supports 8 virtual cores as well. It just won't run 8 virtual cores on 8 logical cores. You can't run more virtual cores than physical cores detected. I'm not sure 4.0 is any different.

Thats weird, the last time I used VMPlayer, I could only pick 4 processors for the VM... and not 8... VBox works fine for me though, unless the version of VMPlayer I have was old. I remember 3.0.0 I could edit the vmx file to see 8 cores... but not after that. I will see what version i was trying to run in relation to the latest version.

Good. However I'm still building the latest Mint Linux Debian Edition VM and installing the latest SMP2 x64 v6.34 that is up for public download. Is there a newer or better version I could install?

VM's built, now for the Linux SMP2 client :D

Done & Done

Thanx for the VP4 heads up :thup:

Last edited:
Well I'm impressed. VMWP 4 runs all my v3 VMs and I can now increase the memory if I want. I haven't tried to see if I can run 8 cores since I only have 4, but it seems to be an improvement over v3.

I need to give it a go... just haven't gotten that far yet. Soon... hopefully.

virtual box works well too... I am using it on all 12 cores, ubuntu 11.10... also, I booted the VM i made in VMPlayer on my Virtual Box just fine, an ubuntu 10.10 on my i7-920 rig seeing 8 cores.

Glad it's getting more reliable b/c VB (virtual box, not visual basic) is what I'll be going with on my 4P rig. However, I'll probably stick with VMWare in Windows.

Back