• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theres one happy customer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

http://www.ebuyer.com/287680-amd-bu...-3-6ghz-socket-am3-8mb-l3-cache-fd8150frgubox

In a nutshell is as fast as my I7-960 with video/music encoding, surfing net, using various software, etc. Is also far better than I7-960 for gaming. Even with the 560 GTX Ti SOC (before getting the 580GTX two days ago), the picture quality when gaming with FX8150 was far better. Objects had better definition, richer colours, with a sort of 3D feel to it (by contrast, the I7-960 always had a distinct 2D feel). Now that I have a 580GTX, gaming is even better. A visual treat. FYI, Toms Hardware gave review saying that W7 and other software were never designed to work with 8 cores. Hence poor bench result for FX8150 which caused c.40% bottle neck performance. MS are engineering a patch for W7 which should resolve this problem. Should hopefully see at least 25% improvement in performance. W8 will be fully compatible with BD 8 core and piledriver 10 core cpu's. I'm glad I got this. Cant wait for piledriver and the new 1090FX mobo which should hopefully have PCIE3 lanes (AMD keeping very quiet about it but sees the need to satisfy enthusiast requirements). I have no regrets migrating from Intel to AMD.

He's correct about Win 7 and the compatibility, but i think a little over ambitious with his performance increase predictions when Win 8 arrives, but who know it might blow us all away.

And its interesting that more and more reports of gaming quality improvements over not just 45nm AMD's but also 32nm Intels are surfacing, the only real reason Intel users could boast over AMD was in gaming.

Has anyone put this to the test?

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of 'bull' to me.

A lot of people that test by "seat of the pants" feel seem to love the BD though, and to most people thats what counts, benchmarks mean something to you, but for the most part the people that benchmarks mean anything too is very small, for average everyday use, it will blow away all but your $1000 cpu's, for quite a lot less. as for the whole better video quality thing, I don't know, I'll have to wait till I get mine soon.

Those "Image Quality" comment invalidates the rest of the comment to me. Your CPU isn't going to change the quality of the image displayed on your screen.

Sounds like a lot of 'bull' to me.

Not so fast, the 1090T beats the i7 960 in benchmarks like cinebanch ecte...

Its only SB that has any edge over thuban's in similar price range, the i7 960 and the like are not the best Intel CPU's to test bench against..... and i tend to agree with those who say benching is not the be all and end all, they say SB is better for gaming then Thuban's, yet Thuban's get high rate FPS in Cryengine games like Crysis 2 and BF3 at ultra settings, maybe they are, but do you really notice it? i have to say i have no complaints playing BF3.

In the end all that matters is the users actual experience of it.

Last edited:
A lot of people that test by "seat of the pants" feel seem to love the BD though, and to most people thats what counts, benchmarks mean something to you, but for the most part the people that benchmarks mean anything too is very small, for average everyday use, it will blow away all but your $1000 cpu's, for quite a lot less. as for the whole better video quality thing, I don't know, I'll have to wait till I get mine soon.

Those "Image Quality" comment invalidates the rest of the comment to me. Your CPU isn't going to change the quality of the image displayed on your screen.

Well i don't know but i would think there are lots of ways the CPU interacts with the GPU and there in lots of ways it can improve what its processing from it or sending to it.

I'm always a bit dubious about such blanket dismissive statements, but then i never consider myself thie all knowing.

Satisfied depends on your outlook. Are you a glass is half-full or the glass is half-empty type?

OP's glass is obviously half-full and he is looking forward to something to finish filling it.

To most of us who listened to the BD hype and AMD's secrecy net over the BD, well we were disappointed and in most cases based on how we used our processors before and benched for a performance indicator...well the BD hype was surely a lot of hot air to oh so many folks.

Now suddenly M$ will rescue AMD after years of bedding with Sintel? Well we shall all be waiting some more on the BD to shine or be shiney. Most that downloaded the original patch from M$ only saw about 1.5 to 2% performance jump. Then the patch supposedly was gone as it was not ready.

Of course this idea is a result of how I have looked at things thru my 'colored' lens and trying for empathy thru the eyes and tests of those that are generally believable.

Suffice it to say that if my glass is only half-full and I am hyped again so that i do not have to think my new rig is less than proported; then gimme more patches and Win8.

Well said RGone.

Its no secret that Win 7 favors SB.

Lets wait for Win 8 before passing final judgment on Bulldozer.

Well i don't know but i would think there are lots of ways the CPU interacts with the GPU and there in lots of ways it can improve what its processing from it or sending to it.

I'm always a bit dubious about such blanket dismissive statements, but then i never consider myself thie all knowing.

From a technical standpoint, a CPU has no relation to image quality like definition or color richness. All the display processing is handled by the GPU. If you put a slow enough CPU with a strong GPU, you may get lower frame rates, but the actual picture being displayed will not look any different if you presented it in a blind test side by side (the person wouldn't know which was from BD and which was from an i7)

From the user's comments, it is clear he wants to feel positive about his BD purchase, and on his own was taking up a defensive stance. He/she is an uninformed consumer.

There are positive things about BD, and I own 2 of them currently, but improved image quality is not something technically possible from changing from an i7 to Bulldozer.

I've had Windows 8 beta on a VM for maybe a month or so. Personally, I don't care much for the interface, way to bothersome for me. Looks like it was built as a hybrid tying desktops to the mobile phone metaphor. I've only spent an hour or so in toto over half a dozen logins, playing with it.

Here's the link: http://www.windows8update.com/download-windows-8-beta/

-Rodger

Yeah i have seen that, no one likes windows phone, its bloody horrible so i don't know what M$ are thinking by inflicting Desktop / Laptop users with the same horrible crap.

I see the Win Vista calamity all over again.

Back