• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA X79 FTW limited to 32 lanes!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eduncan911

So, help me out here guys. I'm really ticked off.

EVGA's X79 line of motherboards do not use Intel's alloted 40 lanes. Instead, they are limited to run in the following modes only:

x79pcie.png

Notice that it is no different than the X58 chipset?

Also notice that all other X79 boards, and I do mean all even the cheapest ones, support x16-x16-x8 out of the box! Only EVGA is limited.

I feel cheated. I bought my EVGA X79 FTW, and in the middle of unboxing, I decided to pop onto the forums to read about any issues during installation. Then, I found the tale tale image I posted above.

Talk about disappointment.

So, I've reached out to EVGA's customer service, direct-emailed product managers and other managers, etc. Nada, no one acknowledges any issue with the board. They actually claim it was documented - it's not! No where in any manual nor online documents on their site does it list the above PCI Lane assignments. Because if they did, I would for sure have NOT purchased it.

Let's look at it another way. You buy the board to run 2-way SLI at x16-x16. Ok, no issue there (same as X58 too). Except if you stick anything into any other slot (well, the two remaining red slots), such as a PhysX card or say a PCIE SSD, you are dropped down to run at x16-x8 for your SLI.

I know, alot of you will say it doesn't really matter. To those of you that will express their opinion as such, I ask that you reserve those general comments. 1) You are not a CUDA developer, where you can easily exceed the X8 bandwidth on complex multi-core GPU development. 2) You are not running at my 6000x1080 resolution when gaming. THat's 3 monitors in 2D Surround, and yes there IS a different between X16 and X8 there.

So... I want to return it, but EVGA is trying to claim restocking fees - for a design flaw they are NOT documenting! The board is still in the original anti-static bag, unopened. But the fact that the box was opened, restocking fee.

The odd fact that no one is owning up to this design flaw, no one at any level you can email or call, seems very shady. How about if they listed it on their website, I would take responsiblity. But, it is not listed (as of today). Maybe they will update it now.

I feel robbed.

/rant

Last edited:
On the X79 FTW spec sheet on EVGA's website it says "PCI-E Slot Arrangement - 1x16, 2x16, 3x8". I think you overlooked that by mistake.

Actually, no because that isn't correct and doesn't match the image I posted above. The image posted above came directly from the EVGA Product Manager posted in the forums, after I ordered and received my board.

3-way is x16-x8-x8. It is not the Intel X79 specified x16-x16-x8.

Also, when I called the original rep to ask them more details on that, they said, "It's a small mistake. It will support whatever Intel's X79 specifications are." Well, it didn't, and I wish I had that rep's name.

Actually, no because that isn't correct and doesn't match the image I posted above. The image posted above came directly from the EVGA Product Manager posted in the forums, after I ordered and received my board.

3-way is x16-x8-x8. It is not the Intel X79 specified x16-x16-x8.

Also, when I called the original rep to ask them more details on that, they said, "It's a small mistake. It will support whatever Intel's X79 specifications are." Well, it didn't, and I wish I had that rep's name.

Whether the 3x8 is correct or not, if it was me and I had needed x16/x16/x8, then when I would have seen the 3x8 on EVGA's product page, I wouldn't have purchased the board.

So, you saw the 3x8 on their webpage, didn't inquire about it (which would have lead to you finding out it's x16/x8/x8), and then purchased the board expecting x16/x16/x8?

Whether the 3x8 is correct or not, if it was me and I had needed x16/x16/x8, then when I would have seen the 3x8 on EVGA's product page, I wouldn't have purchased the board.

So, you saw the 3x8 on their webpage, didn't inquire about it (which would have lead to you finding out it's x16/x8/x8), and then purchased the board expecting x16/x16/x8?

Re-read my reply to your reply.

eduncan911 said:

I thought you meant you called the rep after you bought the board and found out it didn't support x16/x16/x8. Sorry about that.

The block diagram for X79 shows 40 lanes in x16/x16/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x4/x4. So, it still seems like the board in within Intel spec for X79 PCIe lanes.

thats a Mobo for ya i having dumb problems with my mobo too (sound card broke 2 times already!)

I'd agree with MattNo5ss - seeing that 3x8 spec should have sent up red flags if you were expecting 16x16x8. Regardless if the 3x8 spec as posted by EVGA was incorrect or not prior to purchasing, it would pique my curiosity if I was specifically needing a 3-way GPU system with 16x16x8. Now if the Rep flat out lied to you during your pre-purchase research - then that's a different story - and a sorry business practice IMNSHO :mad: .

So - I'd assume this is a design limitation since the PCB is likely wired as such? I don't believe a BIOS update be capable of addressing this particular issue. Seems like a good case for a full refund including return shipping!!!

:cool:

I thought you meant you called the rep after you bought the board and found out it didn't support x16/x16/x8. Sorry about that.

The block diagram for X79 shows 40 lanes in x16/x16/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x4/x4. So, it still seems like the board in within Intel spec for X79 PCIe lanes.
Right. I called for "pre-sales" support, and was told it will support Intel's specifications. Whoops.

Actually, I would say it does not support Intel's spec, which allows x16/x16/x8 as you posted. Hence the reason for this thread.

I'd agree with MattNo5ss - seeing that 3x8 spec should have sent up red flags if you were expecting 16x16x8. Regardless if the 3x8 spec as posted by EVGA was incorrect or not prior to purchasing, it would pique my curiosity if I was specifically needing a 3-way GPU system with 16x16x8. Now if the Rep flat out lied to you during your pre-purchase research - then that's a different story - and a sorry business practice IMNSHO :mad: .
Yep, that's why I called first, and was told it would support Intel's specs and that was most likely a type-o on EVGA's site. The rep told me that. Casually, I might add. My fault for assuming he knew what he was talking about.

So - I'd assume this is a design limitation since the PCB is likely wired as such? I don't believe a BIOS update be capable of addressing this particular issue. Seems like a good case for a full refund including return shipping!!!

Nope, no BIOS upgrade will resolve it as that is how it is hardwired (flawed?) per Jacob, their Product Manager of the EVGA motherboards in the forums.

That's thing. They are not paying for any shipping, and trying to charge me re-stocking fee even though I haven't opened the "anti-static" bag.

Why did I even open it? Well, before I opened it I heard of people receiving their boards with no X79 cpu protection plate. THis is required to ship it back to EVGA for warranty. So, I opened it to see if it had the cover - which it did - by inspecting it through the anti-static bag. Though, I didn't open the bag.

I don't care about paying to ship it back (it's in their store terms I agreed to). It's the 15% restocking fee of a flawed design of an overly priced board that is ticking me off. That's $60.

They should cover return shipping IMNSHO since this was a clear case of mis-information directly from the manufacturer (the Rep's statement). I would personally demand it - but I can be a stinker when I'm told a bold-faced lie by an official representative!!! ESPECIALLY since this fradulent statement was made before you made your retail purchase from EVGA!!!

Restocking fee - Are you kidding me??? I'd be absolutely livid if I was in your shoes...

Best of luck!!!

Right. I called for "pre-sales" support, and was told it will support Intel's specifications. Whoops.

Actually, I would say it does not support Intel's spec, which allows x16/x16/x8 as you posted. Hence the reason for this thread..

I read the "or" as an exclusive "or" as in one or the other, not all. I thought it meant that the board manufacturers can choose which configuration to support. But, if it's meant to be an inclusive "or" then you're right, and the X79 spec should support all of those.

Regardless of exclusive or inclusive "or", where are the other 8 lanes going to get to 40 total lanes on this EVGA MoBo? I'm not at all familar with this specific board, but even in 4-Way SLI, it states 8x8x8x8 = 32. It would seem that 40 total lanes are a given - and all lanes should be properly allocated to the available slots, no?

all lanes should be properly allocated to the available slots, no?
Exactly the point of this thread! Actually, it's more of a rant of the nightmare I'm going through to return the product of what I claim as a defective design and fraudulate advertising, since the limitations are not clearly listed.

We see "X79", so we ***-u-me it supports all features of the X79 chipset.

They are the only X79 boards that do not implement the full Intel specifications of 40 lanes. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Especially in a $400, or even the "Classified" $460 flagship mobo.

Instead of ranting in a forum where you will get one of two answers generally, which are 1. Why didn't you pay attention or 2. Sure you are correct and they ought to X over the moon for you, why don't you use the time composing all the information in a businesslike manner and be contesting payment with your credit card company so that the credit card company does not pay for the motherboard.

You need to tell the company you bought from that you are doing so and a full and logical description of why you are doing so. If you paid some form of cash then you need to be making contact even more so with the company from whom you made your purchase so that they will have at least a leaning toward helping you.

I never posted in any forum about my wrestling match with Maxtor drives about five years ago. Took me roughly 20 hours of my time including the writing up of a valid complaint and dotting of my i's and crossing all my t's but they refunded me the full price of my hard drives "including" the shipping when purchased and sent me call tags for shipping all the crap back.

What you have got is a business deal gone bad it seems. You need to approach the situation in a businesslike manner. Railing at your seeming misfortune seldom does much good. In the end, if the board you bought is now nothing more than a POS in your eyes, then you may as well do your legwork to get a refund intoto or pay the restock and get on with a mobo you like and feel fits your needs. Little else will have any bearing on your situation at all. I am sure we all feel for you in one way or the other, but none of us can reach you. Good luck to you and maybe the New Year will be better for you. We hope so.

I don't know what to tell you.

I am planning a system around the SandyBridge-E processor myself. Right now, in my NewEgg wishlist, all I have is the MB, RAM, processor, hard drive, power supply and copy of Windows and I'm at $1819. And that isn't with the priciest components either. Consequently, I am scouring specs with a fine tooth comb. This is going to be an expensive build no matter which way I go.

I am surprised that EVGA would release such a gimped motherboard, especially considering how highly regarded their hardware typically is, but it isn't their fault that you bought it and now you want them to take back an open box free of charge. There is technically nothing wrong with the product, so their return policies apply.

[edit]
Forgot the "-E". Oops...

Last edited:
This thread/board is SB-E (X79) not SB (Z68/P67 etc). With SB, you have no choice outside of boards with NF200 chip.

Back