• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU's won't boot together.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adventuretime

EVGA SR-2, NVIDIA Quadro FX 580, 2x Intel Xeon E5645, 24GB 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM, COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 800W, 2x Noctua NH-U12P SE 2 CPU Coolers, SSD Boot Drive, 1T WD HD, Lian Li PC-P80 Case.

Even with a minimum set up of 1 DIMM per CPU, with no peripherals connected, I can't get CPU's to boot together without going straight to FF. Each CPU boots fine independently in socket 0 or 1 using jumpers (Win7 Ultimate 64 bit runs like a champ on each). I wonder if it's the PSU, but EVGA themselves said the 800W should be enough. Another technician suggested I may want to test another PSU. I don't really have access to a 1200W supply at the moment. So, I'm hoping it's really just an obscure setting I don't know about. My BIOS are updated (A56) too. So, other than trying out a new PSU I'm stuck. Any ideas?

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to sell the practically new (ordered on: December 2nd, 2011) 800W Cooler Master to help with the 1200W upgrade, but don't have permission to post classifieds on overclockers. I'd RND, but got rid of the packaging (I do, however, have all the package contents, including the warranty card). Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Damn...that is one hell of a rig...

I would have to swap my previous response side with EVGA there....800 watts should be enough to run that, but you never know.

You MAY not have much luck here...I don't think that many of us forummers have had experience with a dual-CPU setup like that.

Last edited:
Thank you three for the reply. I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64bit - I'll update that above. I can't seem to locate the message in folding you're referring to. Would you happen to remember the subject title?

did you try any other OS. any linux flavor? just to rule things out.
can you get into bios fine with both cpu's?

where i it hanging? bsod's?

Naw haven't tried any other OS's, but the boot doesn't get anywhere near that far. I can't get to BIOS with both CPU's active at all. This video gives a really good idea of what's happening:

Something else worth noting: A few days ago, I did some more tinkering, because I noticed my system was almost 10 degrees hotter after installing the second CPU. I removed CPU1 and left in CPU0 to see if the temperature would change. This set-up now goes straight to FF every single time even after reseting BIOS with default Jumper placement or CPU1 disabled Jumper placement. Before I installed the second processor, that set up worked just fine. Now, the only way to run CPU0 is by re-installing CPU1 and using the Jumper to disable CPU1. Also, even with the Jumper, BIOS is reporting the active CPU1 PWM temperature and it is very close to CPU0 PWM temperature. Is this a sign that CPU1 is indeed powered?

i guess you followed the instructions in the video
did check the sockets for bent pins and the cpu bottom for missing contact plates or burn marks?
any beep tones?

do you get anything on the debug led thingy?
did you try to switch to another bios yet?

Last edited:
soo something was wrong with the mobo?
i am glad you got it sorted out and good luck with the sale. thats a pretty good deal

soo something was wrong with the mobo?
i am glad you got it sorted out and good luck with the sale. thats a pretty good deal

Yeah, the resolution only came after installing the replacement SR-2. Thanks for the support. I am eternally grateful.

Back