• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata III, what is the point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

HDD Transfer rates are never going to get to 6Gbs, isn't it about as useful as a road with a 6,000 MPH speed limit?

Those read/writes are for specific file or data block sizes. The instantaneous rates while moving that data still varies, and like thideras pointed out, can still momentarily use all 6Gbps of a SATAIII connection. If those instantaneous rates were not that high, that drive would not reach 600Mbps total for a transfer.

Those read/writes are for specific file or data block sizes. The instantaneous rates while moving that data still varies, and like thideras pointed out, can still momentarily use all 6Gbps of a SATAIII connection. If those instantaneous rates were not that high, that drive would not reach 600Mbps total for a transfer.

Right, got it some more, thanks :thup:

Yep, HDDs probably will never be that fast.. but SSDs are already pushing the boundaries of SATAIII.

I personally thought SATAII was useless for the longest time... I only used it because it had a smaller cable than IDE did.

I have a SSD in my hands right now that does ~540MB/s read speeds, almost double the max on SATA2 :D

I have had this on watch for i don't know how long, i'm waiting for it to become affordable, and with that i'm probably in for a loooooooooooong wait lol

I have had this on watch for i don't know how long, i'm waiting for it to become affordable, and with that i'm probably in for a loooooooooooong wait lol

I was looking at those as well, but in the end I'm too much of a wuss with my data for sandforce drives. These will be the only drives in these machines so went the reliable stodgy route and got a couple Intel 320s. Even those are still monstrously faster than platter drives though. Really liking them

I just looked at the Intel 320s..... thought they might also be cheaper but no...oh no :cry:

Is there anything i should know about sandforce drives?

I got 160s with a giant rebate, so end up around $1 a gig.

Sandforce drives are usually faster but seem to have a little higher failure rate. If you're just using it for a boot drive and save data on another drive I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Mine are standalone drives so I have to.

Just read reviews on the exact drive you want before buying. Some particular ones, even in particular sizes, have oddly high failure rates

I got 160s with a giant rebate, so end up around $1 a gig.

Sandforce drives are usually faster but seem to have a little higher failure rate. If you're just using it for a boot drive and save data on another drive I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Mine are standalone drives so I have to.

Just read reviews on the exact drive you want before buying. Some particular ones, even in particular sizes, have oddly high failure rates

Noted, thanks :)

just a boot drive with games and software, all files and stuff will be on a mechanical drive

Back