• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What games have you guys bought off of the Winter Steam Sale?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zitnik

So, what games have you guys purchased so far from the Holiday sale on Steam?

I got...

Doom 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Dead Space
Dead Space 2

Arkham City
Portal 2 (as a gift to someone)
Saints Row 3
Jedi Knight - Collection
Terraria (4 pack)

You Monster DLC for Defense Grid

Nothing else has looked good so far, and I'm wary since I just got BF3 and essentially Fallout NV GOTY edition when Steam had it on sale in the last month.

World in Conflict won't even run for me, lol. I paid $13 just so I can start it and see "World in Conflict has stopped working"

Cool.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were good buys, I am considering getting Hitman: Codename 47. If Witcher 2 goes on sale I might get it, I've heard good things about it.

I thought Witcher2 was one of the first days :shrug: it's a pretty solid game.

dude you haven't played Doom 3 or dead space?

I bought Saints Row 3 and Fear 3. Waiting for a super deal on Skyrim.

dude you haven't played Doom 3 or dead space?

I bought Saints Row 3 and Fear 3. Waiting for a super deal on Skyrim.

No, I've played them. I lost my disc copy of Doom 3 and I had DS and DS2 on Xbox, but sold them. Figured I'd reacquire them since they were so cheap.

@Janus, oh, that sucks. I'm sure they'll put it up again, usually they have all of the big games on sale again on the last day.

Those deals arnt that super when we take into account that it will come at a "invisible" price:

1. Retail version only will grant 30-40% of cash to the devs, Steam about 80%, yet they still dare to cost almost the same at new releases.

2. Steam is DRM, and account bound, at such, if account is for some reason discontinued, it will make everything unplayable. There is no rights to recover anything, customer rights usualy are excluded at those kind of services, its not subject to appeal. Its unlikely, but, yes, i know some users who had it happen to them.

3. Steam will connect to the net at startup, at such its able to spy out a PC, what kind of data will be gathered isnt fully known to us. It wont work when blocked by firewall, so we allow it to penetrate, which can kinda violate privacy.

Finally: Buying a game in Steam means to buy a "limited license", a license limited to all the agreements a user did. Even my OS copy is safer to use because it cant just be taken away that easely (in term the key is valid), once installed its kinda mine at least.

Some game suppliers are that "cheeky", that they officially writte down at theyr "term of use" (99% arnt reading it, they are happy about), that they are allowed to spy out any kind of data, even hand it over to third party. But most users dont know about, its called spyware. They can aswell make money selling that data.

Alternate solutions might be www.gog.com They however only usualy release classical games, but occasionally they aswell provide newer games such as Witchers 2 in term the devs allow for it. In that term it might cost 50 bucks, but the copy is then truly "owned", relying on the buyers good will not to share that data. Personally i do believe that it is able to work, because good will can only be attained by trust, its the only way in order to effectively counter "corruption".

Therefore, the very best is still to have DRM free stuff. Anyway, have fun using Steam. I might aswell use for a FEW games on a dedicated PC with nothing installed than a bunch of Steam games, however, its massive cost for additional privacy/security. As i said, it comes at a cost for anyone who isnt living totaly careless.

Last edited:
If you are going to harp on the "invisible price" you have to also consider the invisible bonus. I can download my games any time i want, to pretty much any computer i want, easily. No scratched disk to worry about, no breaking the eula just to add a nocd so i dont need to swap disks to play.

I also think you are underestimating what it costs to host games on steam versus retail, sure up front its cheaper than store space, but they host these games forever, and we can download them as often as we want. That isnt free for them, its only free for us. If you dont like steam, thats cool, dont use it, but dont try to pretend that these arent amazing discounts on great games.

Ive only picked up divinity 2 and Bastion so far this sale, im watchng for cheap dragon age 2, just to see if it is at all worth playing, even though its so much different than the first, which i loved beyond measure.

The 2 Batman Games
King's Bounty Platinum
Skyrim (gifted by my father for Xmas)

Wanted to get more, but this should keep me busy until the summer sale.

Skyrim
Plants vs Zombies
Wings of Prey
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Those deals arnt that super when we take into account that it will come at a "invisible" price:

1. Retail version only will grant 30-40% of cash to the devs, Steam about 80%, yet they still dare to cost almost the same at new releases.

2. Steam is DRM, and account bound, at such, if account is for some reason discontinued, it will make everything unplayable. There is no rights to recover anything, customer rights usualy are excluded at those kind of services, its not subject to appeal. Its unlikely, but, yes, i know some users who had it happen to them.

3. Steam will connect to the net at startup, at such its able to spy out a PC, what kind of data will be gathered isnt fully known to us. It wont work when blocked by firewall, so we allow it to penetrate, which can kinda violate privacy.

Finally: Buying a game in Steam means to buy a "limited license", a license limited to all the agreements a user did. Even my OS copy is safer to use because it cant just be taken away that easely (in term the key is valid), once installed its kinda mine at least.

Some game suppliers are that "cheeky", that they officially writte down at theyr "term of use" (99% arnt reading it, they are happy about), that they are allowed to spy out any kind of data, even hand it over to third party. But most users dont know about, its called spyware. They can aswell make money selling that data.

Alternate solutions might be www.gog.com They however only usualy release classical games, but occasionally they aswell provide newer games such as Witchers 2 in term the devs allow for it. In that term it might cost 50 bucks, but the copy is then truly "owned", relying on the buyers good will not to share that data. Personally i do believe that it is able to work, because good will can only be attained by trust, its the only way in order to effectively counter "corruption".

Therefore, the very best is still to have DRM free stuff. Anyway, have fun using Steam. I might aswell use for a FEW games on a dedicated PC with nothing installed than a bunch of Steam games, however, its massive cost for additional privacy/security. As i said, it comes at a cost for anyone who isnt living totaly careless.

I have 51 games on Steam, 10 of which I probably have played lol. Anyways, I got all of these games on sale at one time or another. If I were buying these games on Xbox I'd probably have paid well over $1000, I've paid under $400 for all of these games combined. Steam's sales have saved me hundreds of dollars, so I could really care less about DRM or the other stuff, because I saved lots of money and got the games that I wanted.

So you didnt play 41 and happy about the 600$ saved up?

Guess i just continue to cuddle trying not to think to much about. But what finally ultimately counts is if those who pay for feel happy.

Regarding me, i only got interests into aproximately 1 Steam Games a year (newest one is CIV 5). The others are either on consoles or DRM free. But i aswell enjoy to play classical games because graphics isnt everything, something i have noticed countless times. Some games looks whoa... but barely ever any game did beat my still beloved CIV 2, which was "cheap graphic" but the gameplay.. it once keept me stunned for several days in a row, without any sleep. Aswell games such as Baldurs Gate, all the stuff is legendary for RPG gamers even today and should not be missed. For space shooter fans: Freespace 2 is one of the best space sims ever created, possible competitors i can count down on a single hand, and its now almost free without DRM. Some graphic monsters however... put me asleep after only 1 hour of gameplay. ;) So many games blend the users with hyper graphic but sadly they are worse.

Anyway, i told others the possible weakness of Steam, and you told them the strenghts, so we finally was able to inform.

Last edited:
When a Steam deal is to good to be true its probably not a good game. For example Perimeter 2, the prequel was superior to that and is available on www.gog.com ,not on Steam however. Especially those RTS games which are styled such as Perimeter are getting more and more rare nowadays. Almost no one is gonna craft them anymore, and the old ones are becoming something truly legendary and almost a all time solution because there is rarely any new one. The golden days of such stuff are gone. Aswell it cant be played on console any good, its one of the few genres which is a true PC game.

Take into account, approximately 80% of all PC games are nowadays gained in a illegal way, and no matter what, every single DRM got cracked for the last 40 years. Although its very uneven when it comes down to the offenders.

Last edited:
Do you have any sources to back up your claims of how '80% of all games are gained in an illegal way" or do you mean that 80% of all games available can be pirated in some fashion? I didn't know we had DRM 40 years ago, unless you are talking about 8Track tapes and of course the famous hit (from 20 years ago):

I also don't know what you mean by 'too good to be true' there are a lot of solid games for really good prices, especially older indie games and some games that are just a few years old (assassins creed 2 was $5, for example). Having prices like these makes it so people don't feel as much of a need to pirate, if AC2 was still $60 I bet more people would pirate it, but for $5? far less likely.

Last edited:
Back