• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good bundle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Generally you want to pick components yourself. There's usually some draw back to buying a bundle, normally they include a subpar PSU or motherboard.

What's your budget? What are you going to use the computer for?

Generally you want to pick components yourself. There's usually some draw back to buying a bundle, normally they include a subpar PSU or motherboard.

What's your budget? What are you going to use the computer for?

For now ill just be using the comp as a tool for my school work and my every day internet occupation, but I may eventually empower it as a music editing/recording tool.

For now ill just be using the comp as a tool for my school work and my every day internet occupation, but I may eventually empower it as a music editing/recording tool.

Before you read on, I am not saying buy or don't buy it.

I might be one of the less experienced members here so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If that is all you are doing and you are not into gaming or Video Production, then you are fine. If you are never interested in upgrading or doing it yourself like others have suggested, then I don't see why not get that deal. I can only suggest you read the feed back comments on that site and also.

you might want to read this.

http://www.pcguide.com/buy/req/buyingBarebones-c.html

Buying A "Barebones" PC

As found here: By Charles M. Kozierok
http://www.pcguide.com/buy/req/buyingBarebones-c.html

An option that is even less commonly considered than building a PC, is buying what is called a "barebones" PC. This is sort of a "half-built" PC, with some basic components included and already installed. Barebones PCs are also sometimes called "base systems" (which is actually a more pleasant name, if less commonly used. :^) )
The contents of a barebones PC varies greatly from package to package. Typically, every barebones system includes at least a case, power supply, and motherboard. Some systems add to this some combination of a floppy disk drive, video card, CD-ROM drive, mouse, keyboard, sound card, and speakers. A processor, system memory and hard disk drive are typically not included. As you can see, the exact contents can range from just the beginnings of a system to most of a complete machine, so you must ask specifically what is included in any "barebones" systems you may be considering.
As you can see, a "barebones" PC is a compromise between a fully-assembled PC and a PC you build yourself. As with most compromises, whether the glass is half-empty or half-full is largely a matter of your perspective:

• Advantages of Barebones PCs: You can save considerable time and hassle you would otherwise spend buying "routine" components and then putting them together, compared with buying every individual component. You still get to choose whichever "power components" (CPU, memory, video and hard disk) you want, and these are easy to add to a system that is basically assembled.
  • Disadvantages of Barebones PCs: Since the companies are selling a packaged unit at a single price, and their target market is usually people trying to save money, they have a strong incentive to use the cheapest components possible. This usually means a no-name motherboard and el-cheapo power supply. Any components like CD-ROM drives or video cards are also usually rather low-end. Since the motherboard and power supply are always included in these systems, and these are critical components for ensuring a high quality system, you are usually sacrificing the quality of your system, and may be better off just buying a pre-made system.
I personally am in the second camp; these systems have never appealed to me very much because they usually come with junky components in important areas, and few real advantages. They are saving you a few minutes of your time, but at a fairly high price. If you don't want to put the motherboard into the case, etc., then you should go back to looking at a pre-built system, which at least comes with other advantages such as bundled software and a full warranty.
So barebones units don't seem to have much to recommend them to me, unless you find one that uses good quality components. If you're going to get one, then look for one where the company hasn't sacrificed all just to get the price down. Find out exactly what the included components are. And don't buy a system with a lot of "optional" components included unless they are both good quality and components you need.
warn.gif
Warning: Some companies selling these systems are very up-front about their contents; others play cute little games. A typical ploy is to provide a long list of "features", which is really just a laundry list of every piece of hardware the motherboard supports. They are trying to make it look like a lot is included in the package, because it sells better; in reality the "supported hardware" is common to almost every motherboard. Strip all of that away to see what actual parts come in the box.

Charles M. Kozierok

Last edited:
Might want to enclose what you took from the website in quote tags. ["quote][/quote"] (Except remove the quotation marks)
Other then that, excellent post :thup:.

There are combos I've seen that are actually VERY good. Here's an example, every part in this combo to my knowledge is a very high quality component. However, most of these are typically mid-high end gaming build barebone kits. Especially at the low end (like an office machine would be).

Either way, out of the three you listed, they're all based on older technology and chipsets. Perfect for office machines, AMD has released a new CPU (called an APU actually), that has Radeon cores (GPU) on the CPU chip itself. It's essentially a combo chip, and it's extremely good for general use, less components, less power, less money :).

People tend to prefer ordering from Newegg or NCIX rather then TigerDirect.

Something like this should work for you. This is all from Newegg.ca, but if you shop around you might be able to find cheaper prices.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
So considering I would be primeraly using this newly build computer as an office computer to, as I said tool up for my school and other general interest, would it be better just go for the bundle wich in my opinion qualifies to my demand since this computer will just be an useful tool, or would it be even better and safer just to start from scratch and get maybe not high performance but honestly for the price good quality components?

In fact even if the bundle interests me, this APU from AMD tickles me now.

Performance and quality are different things. Not everyone needs performance, but it is my opinion that everyone should have good quality.

Aftermarket cooler isn't necessary, and PSUs included with cases are typically pretty questionable. Also a really old motherboard.

Again, APUs are the way to go. They're the cheapest solution to get decent CPU and GPU horsepower (other reasonable solutions are low end SB CPUs). Before the current generation, onboard graphics were pretty crappy.

Btw, that's Newegg.com, the US website. Newegg.ca is the Canadian website. :)

Alright thx for the tips, what's the importance of Having a decent PSU, there's so many types and ranges of power, I know that let's say a high performance computer would probably need higher quality/power from the PSU, but let's say in my ''starting'' case, what's the deal with it?

Alright thx for the tips, what's the importance of Having a decent PSU, there's so many types and ranges of power, I know that let's say a high performance computer would probably need higher quality/power from the PSU, but let's say in my ''starting'' case, what's the deal with it?

Again, quality and performance are different things, this is ESPECIALLY important in the world of PSUs.

Performance (in my own opinion) of a PSU is determined by two things, efficiency and output power. Output power is the rated wattage of the PSU, the more [high-end] components you have, the more power they draw, and you need a "bigger" PSU (as we call it). By the way, a 500W PSU is not ALWAYS outputing 500W of power, that is just the max safe limit that the company claims. These claims are generally overstated on cheap, low-quality PSUs, which can be dangerous.

Efficiency is the second thing. This is the comparison between the input and output. For example, if your computer is drawing 400W, and your power supply is 80% efficient, then you're actually drawing 400/0.8 W from the wall, or 500W.

It's not easy to accurately determine the quality of PSU. A lot of expensive equipment is needed, along with a fair amount of knowledge about electricity. That's why good PSU reviews are hard to find. Generally, I only take reviews from [H] (HardOCP), Jonnyguru.com, hardwaresecrets.com, and in-house reviews here.

Quality is measured by a couple of things, but overall it depends on how "clean" the output power is. Looking at a review from Jonnyguru.com, you can see that a number of things are measured, a lot of things that aren't advertised. These things include efficiency outside of the peak range (at really low outputs and at really high outputs, efficiency drops), load at low AND high temperatures (cheap PSUs tend to fail if fully loaded above rated temperature, which is usually pretty low), crossloading (a PSU outputs 12V, 5V, and 3.3V. Most things take 12V, so cheap PSUs tend to put quality on the 12V line and skimp on the other two, which would then fail the crossload test), voltage spikes from turning on/quick load changes, and ripple (the line doesn't actually stay EXACTLY at 12V, but microscopically ripples up and down and up and down. This is what's hard to measure).

Obviously, they put it threw a pretty strenuous test. But a PSU is connected to EVERY component in your system. If you get a cheap PSU, and it happens to die, it could possibly kill everything with it. That's why a lot of members here hold the belief that a quality PSU should be had in every system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You'll be hard pressed to do a good build for $300. It was possible, but there was flooding in Thailand a couple months ago, causing a world wide hard drive shortage, and prices have skyrocketed. You could do one for about $350.

What about this one. Btw budget: 300$ let's say not including the shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.790396

Old but nice. It's no better or worse than the computer I have now which is 3 years old but to be honest, that computer is better than anything you will get for DELL or Gateway for that price. What you have there is like me giving you my old computer and I am pretty happy with what I have now. If all I did was surf and making music, I would not even think about upgrading my computer at all. If I gave you my computer today, you would be one happy camper for what you only need the computer for.

My hobby is video editing

My computer can still pump out videos in HD but I want more juice to up to par with SONY VEGAS 11 that just came out..

Making music on Adobe Audition or Fruity Loops no problem. The only thing I don't see on that page is the power supply. What gives?

:confused:

I have been able to play most games on my computer mainly on lower settings just fine and I don't complain and I play happy as can be.

Remember I am a noob here so be careful how you read into my replies

:salute:

oh snap, i noticed no graphics card either. I guess that would explain the price.

lol

Extremely old motherboard, questionable PSU, but includes a last generation SSD? And it doesn't have an HDD?

Extremely old motherboard, questionable PSU, but includes a last generation SSD? And it doesn't have an HDD?

I already have HDD at home from a previous computer. Actually the thing I liked about the 1st bundle we were talking about is that for 320$(including shipping) I could get a 120Gb SSD + a functioning computer system. Mind you I understand that an old mother board and a already fixed in 400W PSU may not be the best choice even for me but... if it works find why not? *Edit: Ok let's say that th 400W PSU is not a good choice if it *&?@! all other components If ever it burns.

Edit*

Would this with a decent PSU be a great deal?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789235

Last edited:
That would be, but then you're still getting to the $350 mark where you can pick your own parts for some small benefits (two sticks of RAM to run in dual channel mode, A75 chipset vs A55 chipset, bit more roomy case, etc.

Motherboards limit your upgradeability, and as well as that you'd also be running on some really old onboard graphics, which might lag at HD youtube and stuff. The APU gives you a little more GPU oomph.

Looks find.

I found that, seems pretty good for me and it's getting pretty high reviews.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1626533&sku=B69-0483

I know you are trying to spend as little as possible, I myself am still looking to buy my parts, I am waiting for the last minute to see if newegg lowers some prices a bit more or ads some discount tickets or restocks the mother board I am trying to purchase.

PS. I got my computer from these guys 3 years ago.

http://stores.ebay.com/AllPcZONE/AM...19&_sid=190060259&_sop=2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

I know you are trying to spend as little as possible, I myself am still looking to buy my parts, I am waiting for the last minute to see if newegg lowers some prices a bit more or ads some discount tickets or restocks the mother board I am trying to purchase.

PS. I got my computer from these guys 3 years ago.

http://stores.ebay.com/AllPcZONE/AM...19&_sid=190060259&_sop=2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

Is it some ready to roll computers or just bundles?

To respond to Knufire: Are you saying that the AMD APU shown on the link may lag during HD youtube or the actual graphic card integrated into the motherboard?

No, on what you originally chose, the graphics are onboard, short for on the motherboard. This gets confusing as before, it was synonymous with integrated graphics, being anything that isn't a video card. Nowadays, they're separate, as the integrated graphics has moved from onboard to on the CPU die itself. These recent forms are MUCH more powerful, the APU being an example of one.

Back