• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! MY FRIEND's laptop COOK eggs!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

ok my friend laptop has been overheat so i checked his temps and OMG

pics

ScreenShot001-5.jpg
ScreenShot002-4.jpg
ScreenShot003-4.jpg
ScreenShot004-2.jpg
ScreenShot005-1.jpg

i ran prime 95 for 5 mins then i stopped because it was too high for my taste
then i ran a GPU stress test and i ran it for about 1 min and then i stopped due to 92C after 1 min!!!!

ok whats wrong with his laptop? he HAS not OCed at all
do you think thermal paste gone bad? help!

Laptops run hot. How old is it? It maybe as simple as the fan assembly being clogged with dust.

CPU doesn't look too bad for a laptop.. GPU is kinda worrying though, but depending on it's thermal limits, that too could be fine.

Blow some air into the heatsink... you may have to pull it apart and physically reach in and get the dust and hair out if he has pets. My laptop gets clogged with cat hair pretty often.

Well, for CPU to reach 80° on a laptop using Prime is a good value.

The GPU, after 1 min at above 90°? And the idle temp close to 70°?

Its weird, i would go check that out. GPU wont be damaged that easy but, its definitely critical. Remember, the parts will heat up a lot over time. What you got here is just the beginning, the end result would be like 110°... and more. Thats about the point where the GPU might shut down. There is aswell another issue which happens a lot on laptop users: They like to cuddle theyr machine right at theyr bed... and then it does not anymore have enough airflow, so remember to much love is deadly at some point. ;)

However, even 5 min isnt enough to reach the max of heating up. It takes aproximately 15 min to reach the max value, sometimes even up to a half hour. Generally, as smaller as faster it takes to heat up. A big system needs much more time but it will aswell heat up.

Last edited:
lol i told him to take the hair out but i dont know if he will do it!

lol nices pics btw

These temps seem a bit above normal to be honest. Remember P95 is an unrealistic load in most cases so those temps, say trying to game, will be around 10C less.

That said, cooler is better and have him try to clean out the thing.

Generally, as smaller as faster it takes to heat up. A big system needs much more time but it will aswell heat up.
Can you elaborate on this point? It doesnt make sense to me as written...

Air cooling will take around 15 minutes or so to saturate the heatsink, after that, due to how P95 runs, chances are you wont hit the same peaks again. Now, WATER cooling takes around an hour to reach max temps as the loop takes a lot longer to saturate.

I just blew the dust out of a 1year old laptop at work...and was shocked at how much was coming out of it.

Air cooling will take around 15 minutes or so to saturate the heatsink, after that, due to how P95 runs, chances are you wont hit the same peaks again. Now, WATER cooling takes around an hour to reach max temps as the loop takes a lot longer to saturate.

What do you mean by this? On air, after about 15 minutes, your temperatures are as high as they'll get (and probably will drop a few degrees)?

What do you mean by this? On air, after about 15 minutes, your temperatures are as high as they'll get (and probably will drop a few degrees)?

yes, that is what he means.

due to an air heatsink having less mass it takes far less time to heat up. Water cooling take much longer since it has to bring all the coolant up to temperature.

Generally speaking your temps will peak then drop by a degree or two.

If you are handy with a tool and have gentle griping and prying strength, you can take apart his laptop and do a thorough cleaning.

Dust build up acts as an insulator and stock thermal paste after 5 years of constant expansion and contraction is as brittle is old toothpaste.

Back