• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6970 OC'd Stays at 1.17v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Griggs2121

I used afterburner to OC my HIS 6970 2g to 930/1400. With my custom fan profile it tops out at about 75 degrees C.

I was wondering about the voltages though. When I have it set to 930/1400 even at resting the voltages stay at 1.17V. When I have it on default settings, it will drop to 1.00V when resting..

I was wondering if this was normal and if it would affect the long term health of the card.

Thanks!

In CCC (under catalyst overdrive) theres a power -slider with a default value om 0%. And when u have this kind of voltage drops u can up this one abit (try 20%) to prevent the dropping under heavy load. I think it supplies the gcard with more wattage (which suggest that these drops could be a psu or mobo issue)

I used afterburner to OC my HIS 6970 2g to 930/1400. With my custom fan profile it tops out at about 75 degrees C.

I was wondering about the voltages though. When I have it set to 930/1400 even at resting the voltages stay at 1.17V. When I have it on default settings, it will drop to 1.00V when resting..

I was wondering if this was normal and if it would affect the long term health of the card.

Thanks!

Are you trying to over-volt it past 1.17V in afterburner, or you just want it to stay at 1.17V?

I was able to get my XFX6970 to about 1010/1435 at 1.3V (the highest it allows you to go) in afterburner.

If you're trying to over-volt it, make sure to disable graphics overdrive in CCC, as that will override afterburner settings.

Also, in afterburner, in the settings you can check 'force constant voltage'. That should keep the voltage from dropping from where it is set.

Hope that helps.

I'm actually just wondering why it stays at 1.17v when overclocked. Normally at resting it drops to 1.00v. Then when I do something graphic intensive I jumps up to 1.17v. What I really want to know is if keeping it overclocked, and therefore keeping it at 1.17v, is problematic to my cards long term health.

Look in MSI afterburner's options and see if the setting labled "Force constant Voltage" is checked, if it is, uncheck it. Once you uncheck it you will have to actually reboot your PC.

Last edited:
Hmm, if you're looking at the MSIAfterburner Core voltage it's not going to change it doesn't register that way.

However if you use GPUz:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2092/mirrors.php

and click the "Sensors" tab it will provide some better information for your power draw. I was actually assuming you were using this to begin with, it's pretty much a GPU staple.

Here is an example of mine

While idle notice the VDDC and the core clock:
LYaNS.gif

With a game running, notice the same things:
kzvPS.gif

Back