• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't run CHKDSK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slacker101

Registered
For whatever reason when I try and run chkdsk on my B: drive (even when I'm on an operating system located on a separate hard drive) I get the message "Cannot lock current disk" or "Cannot lock disk" then it never asks if I would like to restart the machine and run it like it's supposed to do. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a feeling that the drive may be going bad because I get this odd stutter where everything freezes and the sound loops for a split second whenever I'm running the copy of windows 7 on it.

Do you have this problem when running chkdsk on a different drive?

Have you tried doing chkdsk in safe mode?

Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?

Last one's a joke. Points if you get it.

Do you have this problem when running chkdsk on a different drive?

Have you tried doing chkdsk in safe mode?

Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?

Last one's a joke. Points if you get it.

I laghed :p. When I try it on another disk it asks me to dismount the disk first but it continues like normal.

Well you can try manually creating the task to have chkdsk run when you boot your computer.

Why are you running chkdsk anyway?

Well you can try manually creating the task to have chkdsk run when you boot your computer.

Why are you running chkdsk anyway?

Answer:
I have a feeling that the drive may be going bad because I get this odd stutter where everything freezes and the sound loops for a split second whenever I'm running the copy of windows 7 on it.

Tried it and it passed the extended test so I assume that it's alright then. I still can't figure out why it stutters. It doesn't do it on other hard drives only when I'm on this one.

Let's explore this stutter in more depth.

Have you been able to pinpoint when this stutter occurs?

Is it totally random in the sense that someone with your computer on the bench wouldn't be able to replicate the stutter?

And how long has the stutter been going on? (sorry if I missed this part)

No, I haven't been able to pin point when it occurs. So far the only way to replicate it is by using the machine long enough. It's been going on since I rebooted it after going back to school. I can't remember before then.

It had only been about 6 months but 4 of those the machine was shutdown for. I just gave up and formatted the entire drive to 0s and then re-installed windows. It seems to be fine now.

Never mind it just did it again.. I have no idea what it is at this point. I guess it's a hardware failure of something. Not sure what though.

Last edited:
Back