• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

grrr problems with mint 11

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

i'm having issues with my gnome desktop :/

attached is my desktop.

what happened was i was getting my Xfi working and in the process i had to remove and reinstall the gnome shell and the alsa drivers. i got them removed and re installed via apt, however, as noted in the screenshot, i have one big problem.

the mint menu is kaput. when i add it to the panel i get a missing icon + missing apps + some errors continually.

i want to get that stuff back :/ on cairo dock, i have the Ubuntu menu instead of the mint menu ... i was missing all apps there too!!!! but i got it to a somewhat state by copying the unity file and named it "application.menu" in /etc/xdg/menus

i'm missing the control panel menu as well. any good way of fixing this? i was thinking of upgrading to 12, but right now a wipe is not what i'm looking to do right now as i'm kinda busy at work and wont have the time to re install my apps. :temper:

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 47
I believe what happens is when you remove the gnome-shell it removes mint-meta-gnome.

Try reinstalling that package and its dependencies. At very least I believe that is the root cause of your problems, I can try and help you fix it if you have specific questions

thanks stratus, will i have to reboot it? and or restart X?

removing and reinstalling the meta package now. we'll see how it works.

Last edited:
you will at the very least have to restart x,
though a full reboot couldnt hurt

also make sure that mintmenu has been reinstalled as a part of the meta package

Code:
aptitude search mintmenu
i   mintmenu                        - Advanced Gnome menu

You should see and 'i', indicating its been installed

you will at the very least have to restart x,
though a full reboot couldnt hurt

also make sure that mintmenu has been reinstalled as a part of the meta package

Code:
aptitude search mintmenu
i   mintmenu                        - Advanced Gnome menu

You should see and 'i', indicating its been installed

it actually needed upgraded from what i see. i installed it just now i'm updating my virtual machine right now, so i cant just restart right now.

i'll keep you posted when i can :) you've been more help than the mint forums :rofl: my threads always get tons of views, but no replys :rolleyes:

when i try to manually run mintmenu i get

Code:
mintmenu
Opacity is: 98
Setting opacity to: 0.98
__init__ took 160.424 ms
Binding to Hot Key: <Control>Super_L

** (mintMenu.py:13121): WARNING **: Binding '<Control>Super_L' failed!

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py:858: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  main_window.show()

what function is control super_L ? is that a key i can bind or un bind under compiz or somewhere i'm un aware of?

Super_L is the "Windows" key on the left side of the keyboard. In linux, this key is called the super key. It is used to launch the menu from short cuts.

You can probably map this via the keyboard shortcuts utility

Super_L is the "Windows" key on the left side of the keyboard. In linux, this key is called the super key. It is used to launch the menu from short cuts.

You can probably map this via the keyboard shortcuts utility

yeah, i thought so.

have you upgraded to 12 yet? im pretty sure that will replace your ****ed desktop environment... sry for the seemingly troll post... but to be honest, I dont see any gain from staying on 11 anyway.

...awesome-wm>all

have you upgraded to 12 yet? im pretty sure that will replace your ****ed desktop environment... sry for the seemingly troll post... but to be honest, I dont see any gain from staying on 11 anyway.

...awesome-wm>all

its not a troll post at all :thup: i wish i had some time to work on it, however, i just dont have the time.

i was going to do a backup / restore when i got a chance and run 12. i guess that might be a way to go, i just didn't want to use gnome3 that much :shock:

so dont use gnome 3 haha... just install a different windowmanager (wm)

*(compiz + unity really aren't that bad) ;)

Also, the new kde stuff is quite smooth...

lots of packages to upgrade... and lots of gui... and about as heavy as win7... BUT its very nice from the gui stand point... once you disable many of the annoying eye-candy features.

i might install kde for the time being till i figure it out, i'm not sure yet.

i did have compiz and unity on my laptop (buntu 11.10) but i didnt like unity at all :/

no worries... i treat it like a very pretty awesome-wm... give that **** a try if you want minimal...

*(run it in vi-mode with paneled-windows)

Back