• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greetings OCers! Build My Game Rig! Parts will be voted in. Your vote counts!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turtle Man

Registered
I have an idea for my first high end gaming rig I plan on building over the next 4 weeks, from the ground up.

I would like to get the community to get together and brain storm as a team on each part to be installed in my upcoming build. You as a community have 100% control of this build. The prequalified part with the most votes at the end of each poll (Poll/vote length has not been decided, would like to see what the community wants) will be ordered and installed accordingly.

Every category will be discussed as a community to come up with ~6 top candidates for each poll. Budget will be revealed soon (between $1000 - $2600)

If you think this would be interesting / fun or just a waste of time, let me know. I want to see how many would be interested in giving there input and a little dedication over the time of the build...

Also thinking of having a prize / giveaways for the top contributors to this build.

Free stuff always sounds like a great idea! :).

As a warning, GPU market will probably look very different four weeks from now, AMD's debuing the 7xxx series in four days, and four weeks might bring it close to the (Feb 2012?) release of NVIDIA's Keplar.

Free stuff always sounds like a great idea! :).

As a warning, GPU market will probably look very different four weeks from now, AMD's debuing the 7xxx series in four days, and four weeks might bring it close to the (Feb 2012?) release of NVIDIA's Keplar.

Hmm, good opening topic I could use for this build.. I'm just worried about the attention I can bring to this idea to make sure I can keep the build active and generate a decent amount of dedicated/quality contributors.

It honestly doesn't take that much of a discussion to figure out what's best for you, just requires a lot of questions. What we recommend to people is pretty standardized.

1. Multiple screen gaming?
2. 3D gaming?
3. Any other intensive tasks (photo/video editing/CAD)
4. Mouse/Keyboard/Monitor/Operating System included in budget
5. Overclocking?
6. Noise?
7. Size? (Small form factor gaming rigs are an option)
8. Looks?

Right now I can tell you that you'd probably be going with a 2600K, an ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 or ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 motherboard, 8GB of DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM, a 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HAF932 case, 750W PSU, and a 7970 or two when they come out. [Assuming you end up in the norm of gaming builds, around a $1500 setup, size doesn't matter, noise is fairly quiet, looks pretty nice, want to overclock, none of the extra stuff needed, single monitor gaming, etc.]

Cooling wise, you'll either go with a Hyper212 Evo, a Corsair H80, or a custom water loop (which is a whole 'nother discussion).

1. Multiple screen gaming? Not at this moment. Depending on ending budget.
2. 3D gaming? Yes.
3. Any other intensive tasks (photo/video editing/CAD) Very little video editing. Not important.
4. Mouse/Keyboard/Monitor/Operating System included in budget? Monitor/OS included in budget.
5. Overclocking? Will start OCing with this rig in the future. Nothing too extreme.
6. Noise? Not concerned about noise. Peace never bothers me though =)
7. Size? (Small form factor gaming rigs are an option) Full ATX, assuming it's best.
8. Looks? Not important.. but nothing boring.

Budget- $1650

Since you said yes to 3D, you're bound to NVIDIA. Therefore, you are going to want the GTX580 GTX570, but it will almost undoubtedly be price cut soon.

Will post the build when I finish. That 3D monitor is a budget killer, $450 for a monitor plus the NVIDIA 3D kit. ._.

Couldn't shave the last $10, I really had to work to get it this close. Note, I do not include MIRs in the total price since you get them much later, but there's almost $100 in them here.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I excuse my absence, but I've been mentally and physically overloaded since moving in my new home. I appreciate all the hardwork you guys have put in to helping me. I have been thinking over the 3D idea and have been debating about scrapping that idea and throwing the funds towards the machine and making it a little "beefier" ... I am also willing to throw in a couple hundred xtra bucks if its a good "bang for the buck" ... the i5-2500k is still looking ideal though.

That being said, I would save about $300 buying a non-3D display.

You want a Full tower or a Mid tower case?
for full tower, HAF 932 case is nice
Mid Tower, Corsair Graphite Series 600T
both are about $160 US dollers.

for video cards, In a couple weeks like someone else said the new Nvidia gpu's will be out. Nvidia is supposedly skipping the 600 series and going right to the 700 series. But atm I'd get to GTX 570 or GTX 580.

This build wasn't thought out well and has been nuked. New plans in the works.

I never said my first build would be a cake walk.... Details soon.

Back