• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme9 and 3930k. A few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phatty2x4

Hey everyone. My q6600 @3.6ghz held up for a long time, but it was time to upgrade and this is what I ended up with:

New parts:
ASRock Extreme9
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(4x4GB) 2133
Rosewill Thor V2 case
Corsair H100 cooler

The existing parts I'm using can be found in my sig.

I ran it for a couple days bone stock just to make sure everything was working correctly and so far so good. So today I decided to try some OC'n.

My first try I went straight to x46 with 1.35vcore. I ran SuperPI 1m without a hitch as well as 3dmark2011.

Then I went for x47. Went into windows fine, ran SuperPI 1m and it hung after the first 3 tests. I bumped vcore to 1.355 and ran SuperPI up to 4m & 3dmark2011 without a hitch.

oc01.jpg

So the OC'n seems to be going well, but I have a few issues I'd like to figure out:

1. When i disable speedstep, my cpu locks @3.8ghz and I can't get it to overclock no matter which multi I put it on. I know on these procs you have to enable turbo to OC, so does disabling speedstep automatically disable Turbo? I thought they were different, but this is the only thing i can think of.

2. If I run Prime95, my cpu automatically goes to 3.7ghz(even with speedstep disabled) and stays there:
oc2.jpg
What de heck?

3. CPU-Z reports my CPU being @1200mhz(speedstep on) when the ASRock utility doesn't. They disagree quite often(except when Prime95 is running, or if speedstep is disabled, etc).

I just want to be able to have my cpu at the OC'd frequency and stay there and this new stuff is confusing me lol. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone? I'm kinda stumped and I don't see the point in running Prime95 for 24 hours if it doesn't even stress the CPU @The frequency I've overclocked it to.

Turbo IS disabled, right?

There is no specific "disable turbo" option in the bios. But it acts like I disable Turbo when i disable "speedstep" since it locks @3.8ghz(except when prime95 is running). There's a "Turbo Boost Power Limit" option, but that has me input watts? It's really weird, because the manual says there should be a "Turbo" enable or disable option between the "speedstep" and "thermal throttling" options in the bios, but it isn't there.... it's a maze of mystery...

If I remember right, there was another person that had this problem with the same CPU. It would throttle, but not because of thermal limits. Search around, you may find your answer there.

I searched around, didn't find anything new...

I reset defaults in the bios and noticed the "turbo" enable/disable option was there... but as soon as I start manually entering the multi, that option goes away and is somehow tied to the speedstep after that... super lame. There are "turbo boost power limits" and I tried bumping that up to 360/340w max(300/280w @stock) and it still goes it 3.7ghz in prime95... ugg.

Ok, I went in and set one of the "EzOc" options, then edited the vcore to 1.355(not the insane amount it wanted) and it turned on "internal PLL overvoltage function", the "turbo boost power limit" was bumped to 500/480w from 300/280w stock and the "core current limit" was bumped to 500. This has seemed to fix the problem, prime95 is running now @4.7ghz and my temps are maxing around 69c which seems pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Ok, I feel dumb but I just found this(which should be STICKIED IMO!). After reading that I bumped my "core current limit" down to 300 and turned of LLC. So far so good.

Back