• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back and with some decent gear!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

Its been a while indeed! SWTOR was taking a toll on my OC'd 6600 so I decided to rebuild the rig and currently have it running semi-stable with the sig provided info. I am having a problem tho when I am trying to hit 5ghz. When running prime95 for about 5 mins, the temps are kinda warm, about 75C or so, but the multiplier will drop on its own back down to 16x. Anyone have any ideas why this could be?

And to get it booting into windows at 5ghz, i am pushing 1.56vcore and seems to keep it pretty cool considering. Wanna properly join the 5ghz club and all :attn:

This happened to me, my motherboard had some power management limits after a delay, eg. 110W max short-term 95W max long-term so under sustained load it will begin to throttle. For the AsRock motherboard I found this and just changed it to like 200W.

200 for short and long seems to be fairly typical from what I've read as well.

Well this board has an option for max wattage and max amperage. So I should just bump the wattage to say.. 150 or 200 and try that?

i am pushing 1.56vcore and seems to keep it pretty cool considering. Wanna properly join the 5ghz club and all :attn:

AFAIK that voltage is dangerous. Anything above 1.5v will degrade the chip over time. (If I'm wrong here, someone please correct me). It's odd that your temps are so low, especially with that voltage. Have you checked to see if there is any significant vdroop? Typically what I hear is that anything above 1.4 will degrade the chip but between 1.4-1.5, the chip will still last ~10 years. Above 1.5v...you start reducing the life expectancy more. It's a trade off, and if you can afford to only have the chip a few years...:shrug:

But if it were me I would dial it down a bit.

Yea that's alot of juice feeding that chip for sure, safest bet is below 1.4. I would suspect around 4.5-4.6 stable with less than 1.4.

1.56v is WAY too much for 24/7 operation... I would keep it under 1.45v for sure.

Mikey hit it with the power functions and raising those. BUT if you are throttling that quickly, again your voltage is WAY too high and I would lower it ASAP.

Which voltage are you reading 1.56 at? It could be one of the other voltages for the board and not the vcore.

At first I was using CPU-Z, but then I started to notice the voltages were WAY too low, didnt report what the bios was saying. So I started using the TouchBIOS utility. For the record, I am NOT intending to keep it that high for long and continuous operation. Just to try and get some quick benches in for instance. For normal operation, I am about 1.45v @ 4.5ghz, max load temps are about 70-73C.

I am a little off sometimes, but not insane. :D

Back