• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Norton Internet Security still bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

I've factory restored quite a few laptops recently and out of habit I uninstall the Norton internet security that comes with the laptop and install something else, usually Microsoft security essentials. I was thinking though, has Norton gotten better in the last few years or so? because I havent been checking. I just remember how bad they sucked way back when.

There is no perfect antivirus. That being said, +1 to Convicted - the Symantec products I have seen / worked with are rather bloated and slow down machines. MSE is a good option for free AV. I have had positive experiences with the BitDefender line of products, 2011 on up.

NIS has been fine in the 2 years I've been using at with my current employer (we use managed endpoint protection for business clients, which has some minor issues from time to time - especially the active network scan/security). I'm convinced CA and McAfee are the worse mainstream AV available. Everyone else (including NIS) fall into a middle of the pack 'meh' category.

I'm currently trying Ad-Aware Internet Secrity on my home machine after reading good reviews, and although it doesn't do a scheduled scan in the free version, it does seem to have a small footprint.

Avast served me well but only for the 1 year it was free, not worth paying for it. AVG completely misses stuff, but isn't a resource hog. MS security essentials has a habit of crashing and causing havoc when it does.

No.

Still overweight, bloated, dinosaur software.

Keep with MSE.

-David

could not agree more.... MSE does just as good of a job as the lot of em... free not bloated... did i mention its free.... paying for AV is about the biggest scam out there.

MSE is what i install on all the peoples comps that come to me and never had any issues. Myself personally havnt used an AV in YEARS (probably since 2005) and never had a problem.

NIS has been fine in the 2 years I've been using at with my current employer (we use managed endpoint protection for business clients, which has some minor issues from time to time - especially the active network scan/security). I'm convinced CA and McAfee are the worse mainstream AV available. Everyone else (including NIS) fall into a middle of the pack 'meh' category.

I'm currently trying Ad-Aware Internet Secrity on my home machine after reading good reviews, and although it doesn't do a scheduled scan in the free version, it does seem to have a small footprint.

Avast served me well but only for the 1 year it was free, not worth paying for it. AVG completely misses stuff, but isn't a resource hog. MS security essentials has a habit of crashing and causing havoc when it does.

Avast is still free, or were you using the paid version?

Norton even if it were free I would not use. In fact if you bought it I'd try and get my money back:) Mse is supposed to be good but never needed it myself. For a clients pc I suppose it might be perfect though.

Just remember that the free antiviruses are for home / non-commercial use only. You have to keep an eye on the license agreements, especially in the business world.

MSE + Comodo Firewall is all you ever need, of course a hardware firewall in your router is nice too....

Last edited:
Avast is still free for home use, just re-register after a year. I've never gotten significant amounts of spam-mail from them, either. It works great for me.

NOD32 was the new hot one a couple of years back, but I don't hear anything about it anymore. Not sure, is it still available?

I use a combo of Avast and Malwarebytes, with occasional SuperAntiSpyware thrown in for good measure.

MSE needs to have been marketed better by Microsoft. Nobody beyond techies have heard of it.

MSE needs to have been marketed better by Microsoft. Nobody beyond techies have heard of it.

Thats true enough..... I believe they should build it into all retails versions of Windows 7 and if you install another AV product it disables itself.

Thats true enough..... I believe they should build it into all retails versions of Windows 7 and if you install another AV product it disables itself.

After the Internet Explorer fiasco in the European Union, I doubt MS wants to get into another, prolonged legal fiasco over having something built it designed to 'quash' competition.

I just go by, if you have to pay for it then its not worth my time. I've used, AVG and Avast with a combination of MalwareBytes and Spybot and I've never had any issues. Occasionally a couple tracking cookies here and there. But really the best prevention is just knowing the signs that a website or software will have viruses and knowing what to and what not to click on. And not installing all those extra toolbars and crapware that comes with the utilities or software helps as well.

I have McAfee at work and all kinds of things slip through even though the corporate nuts are pretty well on top of keeping it updated. On my Win7 machines its not too bad but its bogs down XP like nobody's business.

Back