• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Xp Pro hidding Ram usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

Im having a strange problem on my work pc. It runs Windows XP Pro. The issue is as follows:

When the pc is freshly rebooted it has about 1400mb ram left over at idle.

After some time, left alone, maybe log on with RDP, and such, the idle ram will go to 200/400mb, there is no new processes on the process tree, and nothing useing the 1gb of ram, well ofcourse somthing is, but its not visble in the process tree.

Does anyone know what this could be, and if theres a fix?

It might just be xp loading more of the kernel into the memory. If you open an applications that goes a few hundred mb of ram does so free up ram for that app?

Not having a lot of free ram is fine as long as it gets freed up when needed.

It might just be xp loading more of the kernel into the memory. If you open an applications that goes a few hundred mb of ram does so free up ram for that app?

Not having a lot of free ram is fine as long as it gets freed up when needed.

It goes from 1400 to the 200/400mb. It doesnt free anything up until the machine is rebooted. But being an office pc, and the fact i remote connect to it over weekends and stuff, its not a machine i want to to have to reboot all the time.

Back