• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial SSD 128GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rupa14

Registered
hey everyone, quick question, i have my SSD in AHCI mode, in a sata 3 6.0gbs port 0009 FW plugged into a P6X58D-E and my speeds on AS SSD are

Read --- Write
seq : 381.87 --- 167.89
4k: 25.44 --- 29.64
4k-64: 205.19 --- 31.25
Acc.time: 0.148ms --- 0.271 ms

Score : 269 --- 78

the question is, whats causing my speeds to not hit the 500mbs speed or even 450's that this ssd is reported to hit, just curious of what i need to upgrade to get it perform where it should be or is there a tolerance of plus or minus an amount that every drive is not the same moto

SSD is connected to Marvell controller/6Gbps port that is much slower than Intel/AMD SATA3 ports and what you get is about max transfer. In most cases it's even better to use Intel/SATA2 port for faster random transfers and access time.
I won't hide that Marvell controller on these boards is really bad and it's best not to use it at all even for optical drives. When I had this board I couldn't even use DVDRW without write errors while on Intel ports all was running fine.

Ill post my question here since I dont want to start a new thread.
I just managed to (after hours of trouble shooting) install a crucial m4 .
At first it didnt detect on the bios.
I tried plugging in different sata ports..didnt work..
Then I realized the 4pin molex somehow unplugged from the psu.(IT WAS PLUGGED!FOR SURE.)

i plug it in.I tried cloning the drive but upon booting from it it told me windows was unlegitimate .Then i had to formatt the drive and install windows from scratch(win 7 home prem 64bit).
It now works pretty good but I have concerns:
1)Firmware:
To start , my MOTHERBOARD MODEL IS Gigabyte z68 ud3h-b3I tried to update the firmware to 0009 but is give this:

http://imageshack.us/f/97/img39731.jpg/
Does is mean my firmware already 0009 or something else...I have a suspicion that this may be because I plug it in the sata 3-6 slot and it did indicate i think to plug in slot 0 or 1.Should I try unplug , plug different slot and try again OR does that indicate the firmware Already the 0009?

2).Mounting:
upon trying to fit it in a 2.5 inch bay on my haf 912 case , the cable would snap out of it because it stresses it.I had to put the drive on top of the bay and (I think needlessly ) put some tape on it to try secure in place so it doesn't wobble.
In the past I also added a standart 3.5 inch HDD from my old pc powered from the same cable.On of the sata power cables broke a bit on that cable .Might that cause me problems?

http://imageshack.us/f/811/brokecable.jpg/

2).The harddrive is connected with a 4pin-molex to sata power cable .
I did not manage to plug it properly in the 2.5 inch bay .Instead i put it on top of the bay and tried to tape it on (needlessly as the tape doesnt seem to offer much support ).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/tapep.jpg/

Is this ok?

3).Speed:

What settings should I test the speed at on crystaldiskmark and are those ok speeds?I tried these settings:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/speeds.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
img39731.jpg

Looks like you are already at 0009, but I would double check with the other guys here... But yeah if you use port #0 or 1, you are more likely using the faster SATA controller..

brokecable.jpg

In the past I also added a standart 3.5 inch HDD from my old pc powered from the same cable.On of the sata power cables broke a bit on that cable .Might that cause me problems?

It is not clear enough to see if there is a short there. But the entire PSU would have issues if there was. Use another plug and you should be fine.

tapep.jpg

Is this ok?

Do yourself a favor, and browse the Post your Wire-Managed Pics thread. Many ideas to get a sleek setup, with properly managed cabling in your PC. This way, everything will be where it should, function properly, and look great.

speeds.jpg

Last edited:
Back