• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions?...need inexpensive WoW card for whack work PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xstreetz

Registered
CPU - Pentium 4 640 3.2Ghz
PSU - 450W Generic
GPU - OnBoard
MB - Asus P5LD2-VM
RAM - 4GB OCZ DDR2 PC-5300

Don't really want to upgrade or invest much in this pc, but would like some sort of upgrade for WoW...is it even possible to get ultra settings with this setup?

either way best bang for the buck....with minimal bucks lol

oh yea I play WoW in windowed mode 1280x1024

suggestions pls?

Thanks

Ultra? No. Not a chance. Decent framerate at medium settings? Sure.

XFX HD 6670 1GB

Is the cheapest you'd find to play anything semi-decent.. It'd be well paired with that CPU.. It also does not require a power connector; and thus you (shouldn't) have any issues with your power supply. Would be a solid GPU for that system.. Anything more than a HD 6770 1GB (more or less the next step up, requires 1 PCIE 6 pin connector); wouldn't do so well with that CPU at that res. It'd become bottlenecked I believe..

Also at that res; it'd be your CPU that would become your drawback in WoW more than the GPU.. WoW is a more CPU intensive game (I believe); especially at a lower res.

EDIT: Asus HD 6770 1GB

100 bucks after rebate. :shrug: Just another option!

hmm if the CPU is going to bottle neck me anyway would I get anything more from the $100 asus card over the xfx?

hmm if the CPU is going to bottle neck me anyway would I get anything more from the $100 asus card over the xfx?

For that build; I'd just get a 6670 honestly. That'd be my route.. but then you have to consider. Will that machine ever get a better motherboard/CPU? In which case the 6670 quickly becomes a slow card. The HD 6770 is a more 'solid' choice. And is more useful for any other builds later on.

But if that machine is never going to see anymore than a P4 in it... I would stick to the HD 6670. They should suit each other well :p. The 6670 + P4. Lol

yea I figured as much and defiantly no mobo or cpu upgrade unless something gets fried but even then I'm not dishing out anything for it

oh wait one more ? would gddr5 mem offer any benefits over the gddr3 card for the 6670 in this setup?

thanks for the advice :thup:

Last edited:
I don't believe there would be any massive different.. Not at the res you're running.. But if the price is within $5 to get the GDDR5 vs the GDDR3, just get the 5....

Whilst typing this I checked newegg. The cheapest HD 6670 is a GDDR3 at 60 bucks after rebate. The Cheapest HD 6670 GDDR5 is like 85-90 bucks.. Just get the GDDR3. For that res; just get the cheapest.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6670-review/4

At that res.. If it can run Farcry somewhat decently.. Despite the lack of CPU grunt in your system; it should be alright. Keep AA off; shadows/lighting on medium, rest high. I believe that MIGHT work.. You'll just have to play with some settings.

Back