• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just upgraded my core computer, more options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twitchee2

Registered
About a year ago i upgraded from a amd 4400+, 7800gtx, 2gb ram, and a dfi ultra-d. I upgraded to an older generation core 2 duo and a 9800gt, i think. got the whole setup for basically free after i sold off my old parts. I just recently upgraded to an MSI P55-GD65, i5-760 currently at stock speeds and added a 2nd 9800gt to run sli. Ive got 16gb of ram in the mail along with a new storage hdd, dreaded 7200.11 finally bit the dust and is getting RMA'd

Ive run all this on the same psu I had with the 4400 and dfi setup from back in 2005, it is an old OCZ modstream 520w. right now it gets the job done but back when I was 16 I made my own wiring setup specially for the dfi board and everything i had back then, did I mention I was 16 when I did it and I think thats all i need to say haha. Anyway, im currently using a bunch of converters to get the sata power and pci-e power to the cards.

It is working just fine but would you upgrade the psu?

I was looking at the corsair TX850 or seasonic s12II 620. I know the PSU is the heart of the system and I like to make sure ive got extra power to keep it for a long time. Point in case the OCZ 520 ive use for the last 7 years, but I'm also on a college budget. Let me know what you think.

Which model 9800 GT do you run? I believe some use 2x 6 pin PCI-E connectors? Others use a single one? This would determine the PSU for me..

But if they're single 6-pin's grab a Corsair CX v2 500W. It'll run everything fine.. Comes with 2 x 6+2-Pin PCIE connectors..

Corsair CX V2 500W with promo!

said screw it and picked up the tx850m, figure that will last me a long while.

It will.. It's overkill, way overkill for your system. I would've stuck with the 650W version if you wanted a bit of headroom. (650W will run dual GTX 560 Ti's or HD 6870s). But glad you got it sorted at least.

Back