• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System for Adobe Premiere

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

I am no longer active on the forums so I have no idea what the bang-for-buck is these days, your assistance is appreciated!

Looking to upgrade from the setup in my sig.
The machine will primarily be used for editing large 176Mbit (1GB/min) video files with Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
Less importantly will be gaming on this machine, my current setup is okay but I'd like something a little better.

- Mobo
- CPU
- RAM
- GFX
- Hard Drive

I have a $700 budget for hardware, I can use my case and PSU if up to snuff.
I realize this might be tight and could stretch to $1,000 if necessary.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked a few bits out...

- Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
- ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB

$664.96

Is 4x4GB any different than 2x8GB in terms of speed?
Is the GTX 550 overkill for light gaming?

I built my system (in my sig) for about $1100, not counting screens, I can run just about anything Adobe. I'll have Illustrator and After Effects open together without any kind of slow down.
I don't think there will be a difference between 4x4 and 2x8 but I would get the 2x8 if the price is better because you'll have the options for future expansion but in all reality, unless you're looking for bragging rights, you'll never use 16GB. I have 8 and I've never broken 5GB usage. But Gskill is a good choice. Very reliable.
GTX550 I would consider a little overkill for light games but these days, "light gaming" is a pretty vague term.
Everything else looks good.

Edit: Make sure you include Windows 7 in that build :)

What I'm wondering is what will make the biggest difference when it comes to playing on-the-fly hi-res video and exporting from Premiere. It technically 'works' fine now but it doesn't play back smooth video especially when I load them with filters and effects. Exporting takes ages, I'm wondering if an internal SSD would speed things up, possibly use for cache and scratch.

RAM is really cheap right now; 2x4GB @ $40 and 4x4GB at $80 but perhaps you're right I won't be using half of that.

The GTX 550 is $135 but I could get a GT 430 1GB 128-bit for $55 if that would be considered better than what I have now.

Edit: I was assuming that the interface had changed but if it has not I will just use my HD4850.

Dropping the 16GB down to 8GB and loosing the graphics card I added one of these Corsair Force Series GT 90GB SATA III SSD drives

Last edited:
Back