• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED SR2 & x5570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

SR2 & Xeon x5570

I finally got the single x5570 Xeon from Canada. Installed in SR2 and it hangs at Checking NVRAM. Did some reading and it looks like I need to try a Bios Flash.
Do not have another cpu to do that. So questions, is anyone running a x5570 in their SR2 and can tell me what bios you are running? Looking for a loaner chip from friend to be able to flash.

Last edited:
Did you try the modded stuff that is over at [H]?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037624644&highlight=x5570#post1037624644

Seems the X and ES chips have issues unless modded older bios' are used

You should also post that on EVGA site.. Jacob could likely help you as he helps update the BIOS stuff for em.

The main problem is I can not flash the bios until I get a cpu that will let me get to that part of bootup process. Have a loaner from a friend coming next week.

Flashed SR2 to latest bios A56. X5570 will still not run. Still hangs at Checking NVRAM post code error 04:bang head

Flashed SR2 to latest bios A56. X5570 will still not run. Still hangs at Checking NVRAM post code error 04:bang head
The SR2 is a damn finicky mobo. Change one seemingly insignificant bios setting and it wont post. Cant tell you how many times Ive had to clear cmos and start over. If you were able to flash with the loaner chip and that was the only part you swapped it must not like something about your chip - at least you know your ram is ok. Do you know the chip is good if you bought it used? Simple question but you never know unless you isolate your variables.

The SR2 is a damn finicky mobo. Change one seemingly insignificant bios setting and it wont post. Cant tell you how many times Ive had to clear cmos and start over. If you were able to flash with the loaner chip and that was the only part you swapped it must not like something about your chip - at least you know your ram is ok. Do you know the chip is good if you bought it used? Simple question but you never know unless you isolate your variables.

Put the x5570 in my R3E it runs. It will not let me get into bios to make any changes. It will only go to desktop. Tried installing my 980x and setting vcore to 1.35v then completing bios and go to desktop and shutdown. Then install the Xeon, same thing when I hit del to enter bios I get the Wait screen. But it runs!:rolleyes: Another thing, the cpu does not indicate it is a ES cpu but cpu-z in the R3E says ES. It was also suppose to be a AO cpu, cpu-z says it is a BO.

Another thing, the cpu does not indicate it is a ES cpu but cpu-z in the R3E says ES. It was also suppose to be a AO cpu, cpu-z says it is a BO.
So is it supposed to be an ES? I didn't pick up on that in the previous posts. It says "intel confidential" on the spreader?

So is it supposed to be an ES? I didn't pick up on that in the previous posts. It says "intel confidential" on the spreader?

No it was not sold to me as an ES. Really does not matter, could not RMA anyway. It is a server pull which makes it an OEM and Intel only gives 1 year warranty on OEM if I read right. It does not have Intel Confidential on cover. Just cpu-z says it is a ES.

It was the cpu.Got another off ebay it works perfect in SR2.

Back