• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for a new system build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

im looking to upgrade to a new core i7 3930k system. im going to go with an Asus rampage IV extreme mobo for the build and im wondering what is a good 8 gig memory kit for overclocking to go with. im currently using 4 gigs of supertalent 2000 memory on my current rig. For this new build i want to try to push it to at least 4.6ghz(watercooled), any reivews on memory kits or suggestions would be helpfull thx

Well... overclocking on this platform isnt like previous generations. Most overclocking is done by the multi leaving the memory speed your choice really. That said, outside of benchmarking, there isnt a point to get anything faster than DDR3 1600Mhz sticks. My advice is to grab an y DDR3 1600Mhz 1.5v sticks that look good and fit in your price range.

Also, that board, while incredible, is really made for the extreme overclocking crowd. So there are a lot of features you are paying (through the nose) for and not using. I would get a much lesser board as those would still reach 4.5Ghz or so...

It yields little to no returns outside of synthetic applications and benchmarking in most cases. There are a rare few applications that are memory bandwidth limited so to pay a steep premium for 2k/2.13k or higher ram with little returns doesnt make sense for the performance per dollar metric.

Not specifically, no. I have had great success with GSkill, Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin...etc.

DDR3 1600Mhz @ 1.5v. Make em pretty, and make em cheap... all will be well.

I have to question.. A, what's your current rig.. And B, do you really need to go down that path? What's the build for? Gaming? Benching? General use?

A 2600K can power most anything at the moment.. The price premium for the X79 system just seems so high.. But I suppose it was the same when the first X58 builds came out.. Hmm

i would get 2 sticks of 8gb to have 16gb of ram
I wouldnt... unless he knows he will use more than 8GB... but that is just me. I only have 16GB because it was sent to me for review. If I was buying, i would have 4x2GB as well.

current build
maximus IV extreme mobo
4 gigs of ram
his 6990
ax1200 psu

current build
maximus IV extreme mobo
4 gigs of ram
his 6990
ax1200 psu

I would not Change your system... Unless you KNOW you need the extra cores... I would perhaps just replace your RAM for 8GB or 16GB if you really want. There's nothing your current build can't do efficiently.. Great CPU; Great board; overkill PSU; dual-gpu graphics card.. Top end. Eh..

im just not seeing the performance i want out of this rig for gaming, i like being in the high 120 to 160fps, and i just havent been there lately in the games i play which is why i was thinking of upgrading.
Before any of you post the human eye cant see past 30 fps i would ask you to refrain from such posts as things for me seem to be much smoother the higher the framerates are. i dont want to get into a debate on what my eyes can and cannot see thx

Don't assume we're going to make that assumption. I'm on your side; I can see the difference between 30 to 60 fps; and beyond (should the monitor support it).

If you want to upgrade something; grab 2 HD 7970's to replace your HD 6990 (or just grab another HD 6990). Your gaming performance is only going to be limited by your GPU when it comes to your system.. Is your 2600K over clocked to 4.5ghz+?

im just not seeing the performance i want out of this rig for gaming, i like being in the high 120 to 160fps, and i just havent been there lately in the games i play which is why i was thinking of upgrading.
Before any of you post the human eye cant see past 30 fps i would ask you to refrain from such posts as things for me seem to be much smoother the higher the framerates are. i dont want to get into a debate on what my eyes can and cannot see thx
Upgrading to that CPU wont change a thing. You are not CPU limited.

Upgrade your GPU if you want faster FPS.

(you should create a sig with your system in it already, sure beats asking. :p)

yah i got create a sig one of these days.
ive got my cpu clocked at 4.6ghz atm
@Mjolnir, i just wanted to get that out there cuz sometimes you come on the forums and people are like you cant see past 30fps its pointless to go any higher.

Fair enough. But either add another HD 6990 if you like; or replace (resell) it for a HD 7970 Xfire rig. Your AX1200 will handle either perfectly fine.

You could probably take that 2600K to 4.8ghz if you tried.

As far as seeing past 30 fps. Of course you can. But I will say this; you CANNOT see past your monitors refresh rate. Simply because the physical machine does not show past this. (So, normal monitor is 60 hz, and therefore 60 fps). So you cannot see anything from 60+ onwards as a difference. But If your monitor has a 120hz refresh rate; then yes you could see the difference between 60-120 (IMO). It's not that your eye can't see more than 60+; it's just a limit on the screen/monitor hardware.

EDIT; Though every time your fps drops below the refresh rate of the monitor.. (say its 60); and you're at 60; then enter a busy area; and your fps drops to 55; you'll find it 'laggy' as such.. At least I do. Even if it sustains over 50 fps. I find it's not 100% smooth until you hit the refresh rate of the monitor..

Another reason i wanted to upgrade is that i thought that when using xfire/sli on this system im limited to 8x pcie and that upgrading to the new archtecture would actually let me run my graphics card on a 16x pcie lane.

Another reason i wanted to upgrade is that i thought that when using xfire/sli on this system im limited to 8x pcie and that upgrading to the new archtecture would actually let me run my graphics card on a 16x pcie lane.

Though this is a GTX 580.. I believe it's still relevant.

Back